[Issue] Drawing Object Properties

Discuss the word processor
dkb

[Issue] Drawing Object Properties

Post by dkb »

I would like to keep Line color and Area Style/Filling Whit as default. How to do it please?
Hagar Delest

Re: Drawing Object Properties

Post by Hagar Delest »

Not yet possible. But there is an enhancement request for that, you should subscribe and vote for it (up to 2 votes per issue) : Issue 50596 - Would like to be able to change the default color of an autoshape.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
B Marcelly
Volunteer

Re: [Issue] Drawing Object Properties

Post by B Marcelly »

There is a trick to avoid repetitive settings.
You have to do this when you open a document (new or old) :
  • on the Drawing toolbar click a shape button, but do not draw the shape
  • on the Drawing Object Properties toolbar, set your own shape properties : line color, line width, fill color...
From now on, each time you choose a shape and draw it, it will use these values as default for your document, until you close it or change again the values.
______
Bernard
glawrie

Post by glawrie »

I'm shocked!

Seems like an amazing oversight. The app is stuffed full of preferences for all manner of things. To miss out something as common / useful as defaults for drawn shapes is hard to fathom. Perhaps it is hard to code???

Anyhow - is there any clever way around this limitation? Presumably the OOO code picks up the expectation for the default values of the shapes from somewhere - is it possible to get at these defaults some other way?
acknak

Post by acknak »

Note that this works in Draw: you can change the default object style and save the document as a template. The style is passed on to documents created from the template, and the default properties will be set for that document. If you also set that template to be Draw's default template, then you have custom defaults for all Draw documents.

Why it doesn't also work in Impress is anybody's guess.

Anyway, create your drawings in Draw--with your custom defaults--and then copy/paste (or drag/drop) them into Writer or Impress. If they're part of a larger diagram, make the whole diagram in Draw.

Personally, I don't miss this hugely, although I agree it should be supported. I simply don't create enough "shapes" that are that similar. There simply is no set of properties that would make a good default for me.

If I'm creating a drawing with a set of shapes with similar properties, I either clone the shapes using copy/paste, or (if I'm feeling organized) I define a style to ensure that the appearance is consistent.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23