OpenOffice 3.4 When will it be released?

Talk about anything at all....
johnoo

OpenOffice 3.4 When will it be released?

Post by johnoo »

THe title says it, or will it never happen?
I ask because the "Libreoffice web site says I should deinstall OO before implementing their 3.4.5 version. I don't have the confidence to do this, so does it mean I will not be able to get any more oo upgrades?
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
floris v
Volunteer

Re: OPen Office 3.4 When will it be released?

Post by floris v »

I think they mean that you need to uninstall their own previous version before installing the latest one. I have LiO 3.5 and OOo and so far no problems.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Apache OpenOffice 3.4 is expected shortly, a matter of weeks or possibly a little longer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Ed2
Volunteer

Post by Ed2 »

RoryOF wrote:Apache OpenOffice 3.4 is expected shortly, a matter of weeks or possibly a little longer.
Where did you get that information from?
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Ed2 wrote:Where did you get that information from?
Inter alia
http://opensource.com/life/11/12/apache ... nofficeorg
johnoo

Re: OpenOffice 3.4 When will it be released?

Post by johnoo »

Is there a site where the release date can be tracked?
Because these:-
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OOoRelease34
&
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/dis ... lease+Plan
Tell you nothing!
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Keep an eye on this Forum. As soon as there is a release I'm sure there will be a notification of it. Preliminary builds are under way, but there are still some problems.
Ed2
Volunteer

Post by Ed2 »

Ed2 wrote:
RoryOF wrote:Apache OpenOffice 3.4 is expected shortly, a matter of weeks or possibly a little longer.
Where did you get that information from?
All I can find there is "OpenOffice.org 3.4 is tentatively slated for release in early 2012", which is just a non-committal reference to a very vague period. There is nothing to say "within a matter of weeks" of the current date at all.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Subscribe to the Announce mailing list to receive notice about new releases and other important news from the project.

Subscribe: ooo-announce-subscribe@incubator.apache.org
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Ed2 wrote:All I can find there is "OpenOffice.org 3.4 is tentatively slated for release in early 2012", which is just a non-committal reference to a very vague period. There is nothing to say "within a matter of weeks" of the current date at all.
No one will commit themselves, as there has been such a massive rebuild of OOo 3.4 code for copyright purposes and there may yet be major flaws discovered ("release blockers"), but the general intention is for 2012 Q1, which may slip slightly.
Ed2
Volunteer

Post by Ed2 »

RoryOF wrote:
Ed2 wrote:All I can find there is "OpenOffice.org 3.4 is tentatively slated for release in early 2012", which is just a non-committal reference to a very vague period. There is nothing to say "within a matter of weeks" of the current date at all.
No one will commit themselves, as there has been such a massive rebuild of OOo 3.4 code for copyright purposes and there may yet be major flaws discovered ("release blockers"), but the general intention is for 2012 Q1, which may slip slightly.
That still doesn't answer where you got "Apache OpenOffice 3.4 is expected shortly, a matter of weeks or possibly a little longer" from.

The article you linked to does not say "within a matter of weeks" of the current date anywhere, nor does it say "2012 Q1" anywhere. All it says is "early 2012", which is vague and subjective.

Also note that the article is not an official announcement by Apache, and does no state anywhere where the author got their information from. It also does not say who a release in "early 2012" is tentatively slated by.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Ed2 wrote:That still doesn't answer where you got "Apache OpenOffice 3.4 is expected shortly, a matter of weeks or possibly a little longer" from..
Read the Apache mailing lists and put your own interpretation on the discussions. I haven't the time or inclination to search for stuff for people who could do it for themselves.
dean_42

Post by dean_42 »

With each new release, MS Office gets worse. We've all been spoiled because OO gets better with each new release, and I'm happy with the current release. Apache's first release should not be rushed...next year is fine with me.
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows Vista
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

The subject was discussed on the developers' mailing list and the consensus was that a release is possible in this quarter. In view of the enormity of the task, I have doubts. I also recommend subscribing to the announce list. It is possible to read archives of the mailing lists on markmail.org and in the Apache archives.

The markmail archives are much more easily followed. The archive for the dev list. You will see that you can get an RSS feed.

I subscribed to the announce list when it was created and to date have received no announcements.

Apache OpenOffice mailing lists.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I thought the latest developer snapshot was rather decent. They might add some stuff, get out some bugs and turn it into a stable release in fairly little time.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
robweir

Post by robweir »

lgusaas wrote:
Subscribe to the Announce mailing list to receive notice about new releases and other important news from the project.

Subscribe: ooo-announce-subscribe@incubator.apache.org
When Apache OpenOffice 3.4 is released it will not be a secret. There will be the official announcement, to the ooo-announce list. But there will also be several other public signs that a release is imminent. You will see things like this occur on the ooo-dev mailing list:
  • The Release Manager posting a Release Candidate build
  • Review of the the Release Candidate and discussion of whether there are any stop-ship bugs remaining in the Release Candidate
  • Public vote on whether to release the Release Candidate
Since an Apache release is ultimately determined by a ballot, it is impossible to guarantee a specific release date. Personally, I'm more interested in quality than meeting an arbitrary release date. I think most users are as well. That said, many of us on the project are working hard to have a release ready this quarter.
OOo 3.3.0 through AOO 4.0.1 on Windows XP/7/8/8.1 and Ubuntu 12.04
Apache OpenOffice Committer/PMC
wolfman2332

Post by wolfman2332 »

I'm with Dean_42 on this. Rather right than fast.
Win 7, Ooo 3.4
saphil
Volunteer

Post by saphil »

wolfman2332 wrote:I'm with Dean_42 on this. Rather right than fast.
Me too - however I am testing a Developer snapshot from a couple of days ago and so far have not had a problem.
For safety's sake, I am testing this software in Oracle VirtualBox virtual environment, a VM on my laptop rather than doing a direct install on my main (Ubuntu) operating system.
If you have the ram (4GB or more) you can just go and get the developers snapshot. I would not suggest that to just anybody. The snapshot on a Debian/Ubuntu system takes a little more effort than using a stable compiled install binary.

Could tantalize with a screen-shot, if anybody is interested.

Wolf
LibreOffice-7.3.5.2 - OOO-4.1.2 - Ubuntu 22.04 - Pop!OS 22.04 - Windows 11
IM-UR-HUCKLEBERRY

Post by IM-UR-HUCKLEBERRY »

wolfman2332 wrote:I'm with Dean_42 on this. Rather right than fast.
Ditto that sentiment. I would be interested in a screen shot teaser. :)
OOo 3.3.0 | Windows 7
RGB

Post by RGB »

Today, a message came to the dev mailing lists proposing March 5th for the first release candidate.
Even if that "deadline" is not meet, it is clear that AOO 3.4 is close to release now!
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
ilmkidunya12
Banned

Post by ilmkidunya12 »

Before Installing you need to clean remove the old version then restart your system after that install the new one..
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4 / OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04