Automatic ligature support through graphite fonts

Talk about anything at all....
RGB

Automatic ligature support through graphite fonts

Post by RGB »

Since 3.2, OOo support graphite fonts, and graphite fonts support ligatures and many other features. Someone converted my favorite font (Linux Libertine) to graphite technology and built a toolbar to use graphite specialities in an easy way, like real sub/super scripts, thousand separators and a large etc. Try it! it is awesome!
Typo
Typo
Ligature.png (9.7 KiB) Viewed 24606 times
Last edited by RGB on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Re: Automatic ligature support though graphite fonts

Post by Hagar Delest »

Very nice indeed! Thanks for the information. It's now my default font.
It should help all who wants true chemical notation:
Chemical.png
Chemical.png (1.92 KiB) Viewed 24596 times
And spellcheck works fine with ligatures too!
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
keme
Volunteer

Re: Automatic ligature support though graphite fonts

Post by keme »

Looks promising, but I can't get it to work on mac OS-X. Will try on my other platforms...
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
RGB

Re: Automatic ligature support through graphite fonts

Post by RGB »

Graphite technology is not supported on mac, it works only on win and Linux.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

acknak

Post by acknak »

I wonder why OOo is adopting tech that is not cross-platform?

I thought it was a strict policy, that OOo would only include features for on all platforms.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I installed go-oo - much to my annoyance over the generic version - and opened a file in it with this font - to be precise Flavius Josephus' Against the Greeks, downloaded from gutenberg, first removed redundant paragraph endings, set initial caps, set it all in two columns on landscape pages (not even 50 of them) and after assigning this font all hell broke lose - it simply slowed down go-oo as well as generic ooo-dev 3.3 to a trickle. Scrolling through it, even opening the stylist and navigating through it to change back the font to something else was a pain. And last but not least - this font doesn't support drop caps - when I selected whole words only the first is displayed fully.
Can anyone confirm/reproduce that behaviour?
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Don't mistake me - I really like the font, with the archaic look, the lower numerals etc, but all that stuff does slow down OOo on my system in a big way.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I've noticed also a slow down when using that font. My laptop is really old and I hadn't noticed the font had made it slightly worse.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

The problem is that the ligatures don't replace the text like normal ligatures - the original text is kept, the ligatures are simply displayed on-screen and in print, but that slows down the thing, of course.
Nederlandstalig forum
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

floris v wrote:The problem is that the ligatures don't replace the text like normal ligatures - the original text is kept, the ligatures are simply displayed on-screen and in print, but that slows down the thing, of course.
The non-replacement of text means that spellchecking should work OK, but the replacement at display and print times must add a serious overhead, as is being reported.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RGB

Post by RGB »

I'm using this font on a 270 page document without problems (vanilla 3.2.1 on Linux 64 bits). Drop caps also work. I even used many features like real sub/superscrips, small caps, etc.
I do not see any slowdown on scroll, but I have 2GiB of ram on a dual core system.

floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I have AMD 2.4 gig and 3 GiB memory. Maybe it's Windoze.
Nederlandstalig forum
henke54

Post by henke54 »

Off Topic maybe :mrgreen: ; there is also a Ubuntu Font 'in the make' : http://design.canonical.com/2010/07/the-ubuntu-font/

example : http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news ... graphy.ars
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3
on Linux Mint Mate
acknak

Post by acknak »

Interesting--thanks for those links!
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RGB

Post by RGB »

I worked a lot recently on documents with Magyar Linux Libertine font, using several Graphite features like real sub/superscripts, small caps, etc. I noticed some slow down on Writer but only on the first two minutes after loading the document: afterwards it works perfectly. I think this is due to Writer performing all the glyphs substitutions: when everything is on place, Writer works at same speed (and using the same amount of resources) as with the same document with any other font.

RGB

Post by RGB »

The font has been recently updated (now it have a simpler name: Linux Libertine G) and have an even more impressive feature set. There are new, more intuitive ID tags for smart font features.
http://numbertext.org/linux/

Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Great! Let's wait for the extension update...
RGB

Post by RGB »

Ready for something really cool? Install Linux Libertine G and Linux Biolinum G and open this document... :mrgreen:
name-number.odt
(10.15 KiB) Downloaded 570 times

Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

For the record, the font has been updated (2011-01-01). The extension now works again with 3.3.0 (it doesn't appear automatically, you've to display the Typography toolbar through View>Toolbars).
RGB

Post by RGB »

New update (2011-09-22) that adds more items to the already impressive list of typographical features of these fonts. For example, it is now possible to automatically correct the space between an italic and a non italic character, or use double-stroke letters, etc. The package also include a semibold variand, and one fond specially designed for 16pt and greater point-sizes, like headings.
Project page
News
Font features

NOTE: because of some regressions on the new Graphite2 engine used by LibO 3.4+, not al the features of these fonts will work and as a matter of fact you will have problems with kerning. If you need to use Graphite features it is better to use either LibO 3.3.4 or OOo 3.3. Development versions of OOo are not affected.