New Icons ... I don't like them

Talk about anything at all....
Ed2
Volunteer

Re: New Icons ... I don't like them

Post by Ed2 »

At least it looks like Apache are actually taking the issue of colour-coding seriously.

Hopefully they will eventually open it up to public suggestions and comments. I've got a few suggestions, and there are certainly issues that need to be raised with the one suggestion that's so far been mentioned in the discussion.
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
Flutemaker

Post by Flutemaker »

Just had a quick look at this issue and where we're at...

I re-installed my trusty old laptop and re-installed OpenOffice 3.1 again, more or less because I still had the files and I still prefer this set of icons over any of the new ones...they just work for me and I really like the colours that are used, including the quick start icon...

I use LibreOffice on my desktop with the latest update and although it's better than the latest OpenOfice icons, I still think the ones from 3.1 are very nice and could easily accompany me for a few more years...

as simple as that...

All the best for 2012,
Maurice
OpenOffice.org 3.1 Windows XP SP3
RGB

Post by RGB »

From discussions on the mailing lists, it seems that AOO 3.4 will re-introduce the old icons.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

For the record, Drew made a proposal in the mailing list which is rather good IMHO:
http://lo-portal.us/aoo/example-icons.png
http://lo-portal.us/aoo/example-icons.png
example-icons.png (7.4 KiB) Viewed 12296 times
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

monochrome icons were the biggest mistake of OOo.
finally they made a step back.
-----
using latest X-LibreOffice release, made portable by winPenPack.com
http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.1354
vea1083

Post by vea1083 »

RGB wrote:From discussions on the mailing lists, it seems that AOO 3.4 will re-introduce the old icons.
I feel this would be a big marketing mistake, it will be like going backwards (as Apache OpenOffice is a reboot of the OpenOffice.org project). In my view the refresh of the OpenOffice.org icons after v3.2.1 was very good in terms of brand refresh. However, I do agree that the monochrome move was not the best one, it would make sense to keep the current icons but give them the coloring scheme that these had in OOo 3.2.0 and earlier.

I made also a icon proposal in the Apache OpenOffice mailing list last year. I kept the monochrome look but changed the background coloring of the "ODF" letters into former application color scheme.
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/vea1083/OOOIconTray.jpg
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/vea1083/OOOIconTray.jpg
I do hope they keep the current icon design but with a new coloring code. I am also hoping that Apache keeps the current OpenOffice "blue orb" logo. Hopefully, the start screen will have some of the following elements on it :D (keep in mind I did these before the "Apache OpenOffice" project name was adopted)
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/vea1083/OOoSplashcopy.jpg
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/vea1083/OOoSplashcopy.jpg
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pics embedded.
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 for OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 for Windows (XP SP3)
Ed2
Volunteer

Post by Ed2 »

vea1083 wrote:I made also a icon proposal in the Apache OpenOffice mailing list last year. I kept the monochrome look but changed the background coloring of the "ODF" letters into former application color scheme.
There are two issues which need to be addressed before these icons are suitable:

1. The colour coded area is extremely small. This makes it difficult to see the colour when looking down a list of icons, particularly when the icons are small.

2. How do you propose to colour code the non-ODF versions of these icons, which by definition do not have an ODF badge?
vea1083

Post by vea1083 »

Ed2 wrote: How do you propose to colour code the non-ODF versions of these icons, which by definition do not have an ODF badge?
I haven't device a way to do that yet. However, the decision to reintroduce the Sun era icons in my view sends the wrong message to the community of AOO not being a reboot of OpenOffice.org.
Ed2
Volunteer

Post by Ed2 »

vea1083 wrote:
Ed2 wrote: How do you propose to colour code the non-ODF versions of these icons, which by definition do not have an ODF badge?
I haven't device a way to do that yet.
This is something that needs to be addressed before these icons can be used. These icons also need a much larger area of the relevant colour for each icon, the tiny coloured ODF badge is far too small to be easily recognised by its colour in a list of small icons.
vea1083 wrote:However, the decision to reintroduce the Sun era icons in my view sends the wrong message to the community of AOO not being a reboot of OpenOffice.org.
Precisely what "wrong message" do you imagine replacing icons that make the product unusable with well-designed, clearly colour-coded icons that are well established to work gives?
Last edited by Ed2 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

I don't understand why the icons were changed to the present nondescript default icons. It so happens that on my system I was able to find some distinctive coloured OO.o icons to use in the applications menu. The old ones are in use on the forum index page and I see nothing wrong with them.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
Ed2
Volunteer

Post by Ed2 »

This issue was marked as "Fixed" today by the user Ariel Constenla-Haile.

Does anyone know anything more about what has actually been done?
RGB

Post by RGB »

Ed2 wrote:This issue was marked as "Fixed" today by the user Ariel Constenla-Haile.

Does anyone know anything more about what has actually been done?
AFAIK, for AOO 3.4 the old icons will be restored. Discussion is open for 4.0.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

The 3.4 release of Apache OpenOffice will use some form of colored icons. I think the plan is to just revert to the last ones used before the introduction of the monochrome icons, but I'm not entirely sure.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
vea1083

Post by vea1083 »

FJCC wrote:The 3.4 release of Apache OpenOffice will use some form of colored icons. I think the plan is to just revert to the last ones used before the introduction of the monochrome icons, but I'm not entirely sure.
I can confirm this. I downloaded the OOo-dev 3.4 (Apache OpenOffice 3.4 developer preview) and the original OOo 3.0-3.2 icons make their return in the OpenOffice start center.
Ed2
Volunteer

Post by Ed2 »

vea1083 wrote:
FJCC wrote:The 3.4 release of Apache OpenOffice will use some form of colored icons. I think the plan is to just revert to the last ones used before the introduction of the monochrome icons, but I'm not entirely sure.
I can confirm this. I downloaded the OOo-dev 3.4 (Apache OpenOffice 3.4 developer preview) and the original OOo 3.0-3.2 icons make their return in the OpenOffice start center.
Have you got a build in which all the icons have been correctly changed?

I downloaded the latest version from on https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/dis ... +Snapshots, (Build 9585, Rev 1234077). The Oracle monochrome icons are still present in a number of places, most notably the start centre and new document menu in the "Classic" theme, and the non-ODF versions of the icons compiled into the Windows program.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

easiest way to have nice color-coded icons is to use LibreOffice

sorry but the OOo team, who screwed up the icons, took too much to abandon those useless and unproductive monochrome icons

it was the main reason that pushed me (and many others) to move to LibO
-----
using latest X-LibreOffice release, made portable by winPenPack.com
http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.1354
Ed2
Volunteer

Post by Ed2 »

Just checked the latest AOO dev build and the icons have now all been changed back to the Sun icons.
sergio_sos

Post by sergio_sos »

Hi, is there any way to install a new set of icons with color for the OpenOffice 4.1.0?
I see it was discussed but I cannot see any link to download or a tutorial to install it.
Thanx in advance
OpenOffice 4.1.0 / Windows 7 Ultimate
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The icons with color are installed by default with AOO 4.1.0 Beta. Are you looking for a different set of icons or do you have a different set of icons that you want to use?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04