[Issue] OpenOffice XForms using the mailto: submission

Discuss the word processor
Safway
Volunteer

[Issue] OpenOffice XForms using the mailto: submission

Post by Safway »

Overview
I am having a difficult time getting the mailto submission working in XForms using OpenOffice.org. OO.o will not submit anything to my e-mail program using XForms. Does anyone know if this is a bug or am I just missing something?

What I have done
* Ensured I am supposed to be able to do this by reading documentation. The official xforms information at http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xforms-20 ... ice11.html says ". . . bindings, in particular to the URI scheme 'mailto:' may . . . be supported" and confirm that OO.o DOES support it by reading at http://www.idealliance.org/proceedings/ ... deadb.html that ". . . [you are able to send] the instance data . . . as a mail attachment . . ."
* Using a normal form (not an xform) document I was able to use the mailto feature and it worked correctly. See screenshot#1.
* Ensured my OO.o configuration settings are correct in Tools | Options | Internet | Email | Email Program is valid

My environment
OO.o version = 3.0
Operating System = Ubuntu

Notes:
Using OO.o XForms I am successful in putting the xml instance data onto the local hard drive using the following submission settings:
Name: SaveData
Action: file:///home/user/data.xml
Method: Put
Binding Expression:
Binding:
Replace: Instance

It appears I am also successful posting the xml instance data to an external server using the following submission settings:
Name: PostData
Action: http://www.example.com:8080/cgi-bin/receivedata.pl
Method: Post
Binding Expression:
Binding:
Replace:
Attachments
Screenshot #3 showing the form button properties of the XForm
Screenshot #3 showing the form button properties of the XForm
Screenshot #2 showing an XForms form.  This doesn't work as expected.
Screenshot #2 showing an XForms form. This doesn't work as expected.
Screenshot #1 showing a normal form.  This works as expected.
Screenshot #1 showing a normal form. This works as expected.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Issue] (link to a bug report).
If someone posts a fix for your question, then please post a quick thank you and then go to your first post, use the edit button to add [Solved] as the first word of the title so other people can rely on the fix as well.
LibreOffice 3.3.3 on Fedora
Dutch79

Re: OpenOffice XForms using the mailto: submission

Post by Dutch79 »

Trying to do the same here, with the same problem (only on WinXP).

I do not have a server address to test the other option. :cry:
Safway
Volunteer

Post by Safway »

OK, it isn't just me then. I've e-mailed the mailing list at dev@xml.openoffice.org and hopefully we can get a response. If so, then I'll post back here so others can benefit.
If someone posts a fix for your question, then please post a quick thank you and then go to your first post, use the edit button to add [Solved] as the first word of the title so other people can rely on the fix as well.
Safway
Volunteer

Post by Safway »

Hmmm, well, I posted and didn't get any reply.

I guess in my Howto I am writing regarding XForms in OpenOffice I will have to say it just doesn't work.
Safway
Volunteer

Post by Safway »

OK, I have come to the conclusion that the mailto: submission just does not work. However, other parts of XForm functionality are still beneficial within OpenOffice. Because information is so sparse on how to do this, I have posted a Howto use XForms in OpenOffice up at
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... leForm.odt
for anyone else to benefit (hopefully) from. :-)

If anyone would like to correct or add useful information, then please do so.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sounds like it's time to file a bug report... [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Safway
Volunteer

Post by Safway »

acknak

Post by acknak »

Nice! Thanks for posting the link.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23