Using objects instantiated by a DLL in Basic

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
sqykly

Using objects instantiated by a DLL in Basic

Post by sqykly »

If I Declare a DLL function that returns an instance of a class and invoke it within OOoBasic, what results can I expect? I would be somewhat surprised if the object behaved normally without any special treatment, but that would solve 99% of the problems I come here whining about =). Specifically, would I have to Declare each and every one of said object's methods? Would Basic flip its lid over a non-UNO object being stuck in its object variable? I dare not hope that any overloaded operators would be accessible.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Using objects instantiated by a DLL in Basic

Post by Villeroy »

Well, you are the pioneer to explore this on your own. And don't forget to tell us the results. OOo is platform independent and the built-on StarBasic language with it's Win-specific declare statement is a far cry from the early 90ies. It's a primitive loudspeaker to call the office-API, but you can not really write progams with it. All your threads in this forum confirm this private theory of mine.

Usually the "old" oooforum.org is a good source of knowlege. The "old veterans" contributed 90% of all the knowlege between 2003 to 2005. It's still in there (more or less hidden, which was one reason to start this forum).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice