Convert data from FM Pro to Base

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
cyrano1db

Convert data from FM Pro to Base

Post by cyrano1db »

I am currently using FileMaker Pro 8 and would like to convert a database to Base. No luck so far. Is this a possibility? If so, how do I go about it?

Cyranoidb
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: convert data from FM Pro to Base

Post by DrewJensen »

I believe you will need to export the data from FileMake to something like dbase, then you can connect directly to those dBase tables and import into a native Base database from there.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
cyrano1db

Post by cyrano1db »

Thanks for the info. I had wondered about that but I have never used a dbase file and didn't know if it was possible to export in that format.

Thanks again. I'll give it a shot.

Cyranodb
wurzel
Volunteer

Post by wurzel »

Export from FMPro to DBF, or CSV. From personal experience, I have found CSV to be the most flexible solution. There are gotchas, notably with dates, and special characters that don't seem to import too well (e.g. line breaks). The main problem with using CSV is that everything gets imported into Base as text. Also, using CSV export doesn't include the field headers or definitions, so you have to do that additionally in Base. I have found that exporting in MER and BAS formats to be quite handy as well.

Alex
cyrano1db

Post by cyrano1db »

HI Alex, and thank you for your input. The problem that you mention (that everything gets imported as text may create problems. I have numerous currency fields that are created by formula within the database. The thought of having both formulae and dollar amounts converted into text is a bit scary.I'm currently working with exporting to DBF with some success. The final DB needs more work than I had hoped to face, but the results seem to be getting there.

I've made a copy of the FMP DB and will try the CSV format to see what comes out. At worst it will be an excellent learning experience. At best . . . who knows. It might solve the problem. :^)

Thanks again,

George
helloemily

Re: Convert data from FM Pro to Base

Post by helloemily »

which CSV should i download?
OpenOffice Base 3.3.0 on MacOS 10.5.8