Trouble editing a database imported from Ms Access 2000

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
Aquatix

Trouble editing a database imported from Ms Access 2000

Post by Aquatix »

I'm new to openoffice, only having switched because i can't install MS office as my laptop doesn''t have a disk drive.

I have used the external data sources capibility to import a Database made in MS Access 2000 but out of the four tables i have in there, i can only edit the records in 2 of them. What gives? The two I'm unable to edit already have a lot of data in them, but that shouldn't make a difference should it?

Is there a way to allow those tables to be edited?
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: Trouble editing a database imported from Ms Access 2000

Post by DrewJensen »

First thing I would check is if the tables have a primary key.

Open your ODB file, go to the table section and open the tables as if you want to edit their definition ( right mouse click and select edit from the pop up menu ) the field (or fields ) that make up the primary key will have a small icon of a 'key' in the left most column.

Base currently has a requirement, for the GUI data controls, that a table must have a primary key field to be opened in read/write mode - no key and they open in read only mode.

So check and if they don't have a key see if you can add one. ( select the field, or fields, that you want right mouse click in the left most column and select 'primary key' from the pop-up men )

HTH
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04