[Solved] Music files that will play over multiple slides

Discuss the presentation application
Danny53

[Solved] Music files that will play over multiple slides

Post by Danny53 »

OO Version: 2.3

I'm brand new to OO Impress.

I was able to add an MP3 music file and have it start playing with the click of the mouse, but when I go to the next slide the music stops. I'd like it to keep playing but I haven't stumbled accross the instructions of how to do it.

If it's in one of the online documents, please include the page number.

Thank you very much!
Last edited by Danny53 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
acknak

Re: adding a music file that will play over several slides

Post by acknak »

Have you read the Forum Survival Guide? Please try a search first, this has been answered several times. If you don't find anything in a couple of tries, just yell.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Danny53

Post by Danny53 »

Yes, I have read the Forum Survival Guide and yes I did a search for 'music'. I've read through them and never found a step by step explaination of how to resolve the issue. One person commented that "I also had to go to each slide and make sure it was set to Automatic After on the Advanced slide". I can't find an 'Automatic After' option anywhere. If there is an answer to the question in a reply somewhere, it was well enough hidden that I couldn't find it.
Danny

OO version: 2.3
acknak

Post by acknak »

Ok, thanks for having a look first.

I was thinking of this one: [Solved] Music stops, is that the one you looked at?

I followed the instructions there and it worked fine for me, but I'm using Linux.

I'm not sure about that "Automatic After" comment. I didn't have to do that.
Danny53

Post by Danny53 »

Yes, that one did have some instructions:

You can use the Slide Transition pane to set up Impress so that a sound or a song is played throughout the presentation. To do that:
1) Select the slide where you want the sound to start and go to the Slide transition pane.
2) In the Modify transition section, select the entry Other sound from the Sound drop-down menu.
3) Select the Loop until next sound checkbox if you want the sound to restart once it is finished.

Caution: Do NOT click the Apply to all button, otherwise your selected sound will restart at every slide.

I don't remember the os or the program version that person used. I'm running Windows XP and have OO 2.3.

I don't know what I was doing wrong but I couldn't get that to work. At this point, I've tried so many things, I cant even remember how to get the music to play during one slide, let alone getting it to play through multiple slides.

Acnak, if yo or anyone could just share a step by step set of instructions on how to insert an MP3 file into a presentation and have it continue playing over multiple files, that would be great.

Thank you for your time.
Danny

acknak

Post by acknak »

Here's what I did:
1) File > New > Presentation > Create (new presentation with all default settings)
2) Panel at right: Slide Transition > Modify Transition > Sound = "apert" (fourth in the drop down list)
You should hear a short (~2s) sound at this point, as the effect is "previewed". If you don't hear it, try the "Play" button at the bottom of the Slide Transition panel. If that doesn't work, then OOo is not able to play sounds and you have to fix that before proceeding.
3) Slide Transition > Modify Transition > Sound = "Other sound" > (select your long music file).
You may or may not hear the preview for this, it depends on whether your music file has a quiet leader at the beginning. If the audio starts right away, you should hear it. If the audio starts after 1-2s of silence, you won't hear anything.
4) Click "Slide show" (bottom of the Slide Transition panel) or F5.
You should hear the music start. It will continue to play even after you advance to the next slide (which is the black "End of show" screen. Advance again to end the show and the music should stop.

I tested this with OOo 2.3 on Fedora Linux, using a .wav audio file. YMMV depending on what audio format your music is stored in; almost anything will play .wav files, IME.

I was not able to get the sound to repeat, except by restarting the show.
Danny53

Re: Solved: music files that will play over multiple slides

Post by Danny53 »

Your step by step directions worked perfectly.

Thank you so very much!
Danny

Danny53

Re: Solved: music files that will play over multiple slides

Post by Danny53 »

I made an odd discovery that I can't explain.

On my desktop PC, I created a test presentation in which an MP3 file starts plaing on slide #5 and continues playing across multiple slides until the song is finished. I copied the file to my laptop. When I did a slideshow, the song didn't play.

So I figured that the MP3 file has to be in the same path on my laptop as my PC (I though maybe the MP3 file became a part of the .odp file but it's obviously not -- aparently it's simply creating a link to that MP3 file). I put my .odp file anmd the MP3 file into a folder and linked to the MP3 file in that folder. Then I copied the folder and it's contents to my laptop. It still didn't play the song!

So on my laptop, I went through the process of inserting the song via the transition pane as I had done on the PC. It worked then.

I don't know if anyone will even read this since the issue has been marked 'solved', but I just thought it was interesting and that I should make note of it in this thread.

Thanks.
Danny

Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] music files that will play over multiple slides

Post by Hagar Delest »

I came across that post and I'd noticed that also, strangely, the music files are put in the OOo user profile, in the /gallery subfolder (\Documents and settings\<user>\Application data\OpenOffice.org2\user\gallery).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
guyver2095

Re: [Solved] Music files that will play over multiple slides

Post by guyver2095 »

Problems selecting other sound in the transition pane in Open office

Hi, I had some problems in select other sound in the transition pane in Open office, it seems that the selector cant pick names of files and finally find some reasons and fixes to that.

First check that language support have all the necessary elements, most important if you use another language than English (Sistema /administraciòn soporte de idiomas)
You can select files from a folder called Music, but not from another called Música.

Second check Gsreamer plugins good, bad and ugly) and those from partner repositories.

Third OpenOffice Dmath from repositories causes that other sound selection control doesn’t work a t all deinstall it and reinstall from webpage again.

I almost forgot Writer 2 latex and Writer2 html causes the same problem if you install them without close soffice bin. close it in task manager before to proceed with installation
Greetings from Mèxico.
OpenOffice 3.2.0 on Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Linx
gdithrive

Re: [Solved] Music files that will play over multiple slides

Post by gdithrive »

Hi i know this problem has been solved already but i have followed all the instructions that is listed on this forum but the mp3 still stops on each slide and replay again. i based it from here:

You can use the Slide Transition pane to set up Impress so that a sound or a song is played throughout the presentation. To do that:
1) Select the slide where you want the sound to start and go to the Slide transition pane.
2) In the Modify transition section, select the entry Other sound from the Sound drop-down menu.
3) Select the Loop until next sound checkbox if you want the sound to restart once it is finished.

Caution: Do NOT click the Apply to all button, otherwise your selected sound will restart at every slide.

Im using linux mint. Can anyone help me on this? thank you
openoffice.org 3.2.0
Linux Mint 9