2nd axis data

Discuss the spreadsheet application
FrankPerkins

2nd axis data

Post by FrankPerkins »

How do I assign data to the second Y axis?
Frank
acknak

Re: 2nd axis data

Post by acknak »

Select the data set you want to assign to the secondary axis (click on a data point). Now, right-click > Object Properties > Options > Secondary Y-axis = YES (checked).
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
FrankPerkins

Post by FrankPerkins »

Sorry to be dense, but what do I right-click to get the Object Properties menu?
frank
acknak

Post by acknak »

You're not dense, the current design in OOo Chart has poor usability in this aspect.

The process goes like this:
1) left-click on a data point from the data series you want to select.
This causes "handles" to be displayed on the whole data series.
2) right-click on a handle > pop-up menu > Object properties.
This gives you the tabbed dialog for all the properties that can be set for that data series.
3) click the "Options" tab; set the "Secondary Y-axis" option.

As far as I can see, this is the only way to access the data series properties and it is not easy, even in a simple case, to click on exactly the right spot. For a complex chart, with many data series and crowded with data points, it can be a real challenge.

There should be a menu that gives you easy access to the properties for each data series. If there is one, I haven't found it.
Jays23

Post by Jays23 »

Thanks, but what do you mean by handle as I can't find the Object properties

I jsut need to add the other data to the x-axis as I already created the hcart with the y-axis or vice versa...I can't find the add series option
acknak

Post by acknak »

"Handles" are small green squares that are displayed around the perimeter of a graphic objecy when it is selected.

They're called handles, because they give you a way to "grab" the object with the mouse and move it, or do something to it. In this case, it gives you the context menu.

If you left-click exactly on a data point, you select that data series: you should see a handle appear on every point in that series. Then, if you right-click on one of the handles, you get the context menu for that series, where the top item in the menu is "Object Properties". Pick that, and you'll get the properties dialog window. In that window, pick the "Options" tab, then choose "Secondary Y axis". That will create a second Y axis, and assign that data series to use the new Y axis.

You can shorten the procedure by first right-clicking on a data point: this will select the series and pop-up the menu all in one click.

The hard part of this is clicking exactly on the right data point.
I can't find the add series option
Format > Data Ranges > Data Series > Add