[Solved] "File has been locked from editing" - how undo???

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
Pemer

[Solved] "File has been locked from editing" - how undo???

Post by Pemer »

For a couple of days I postponed to reboot my computer every four hours after an automatic update of the system. Eventually I played a game in fullscreen mode too long, forgetting about this, and never saw the new prompt to reboot or postpone again - and suddenly all software closed one by one and the computer rebooted.

After the reboot the recreation of previous open documents in OpenOffice didn't work completely. It turned out that the automatic saving had ceased some time a couple of days back, so all editing of the biggest and most important file after that point was just gone. The other two files I had had open were recreatead in the same form as when the computer shut down and rebooted, so no problem with those.

I have by now re-done all editing that was lost, but the problem is that I now have to work in a copy saved under another name. When the saving ceased, instead it seems the software made a change in the rights to the file. The file is now noted as "locked from editing by an unknown user" and must be opened in write protected mode, or as a copy of the file.

I have really tried to figure this out myself, but I'm clueless. How do I gain access back to the file and its name, so I can delete it and save the new file with the intented name???
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun May 01, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.2.0, Vindows 7
RoryOF

Re: "File has been locked from editing" - how undo???

Post by RoryOF »

With OpenOffice closed, look in the directory in which you have saved the original file, with your computer set to display hidden files. You are looking for a file with name like

Code: Select all

.~lock.test.odt#
Delete that file and now you should be able to save your new file under the same original name.
This is a lock file left over after the upgrade caused your computer to shut down. Similar files can be left after a crash.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Pemer

Re: "File has been locked from editing" - how undo???

Post by Pemer »

Aaah! Great! That did it alright! Thank you so much!
OpenOffice 3.2.0, Vindows 7