Pulldown Menu & Change Value of Next Cell

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
ztiwokles

Pulldown Menu & Change Value of Next Cell

Post by ztiwokles »

We're trying to use a table in Writer to where a cell could have a pulldown selection then update the next cell with a value which corresponds to the selection made. Any way to do this?
OpenOffice 3.3 on Mac 10.6
acknak

Re: Pulldown Menu & Change Value of Next Cell

Post by acknak »

Is it absolutely necessary to change the value in another cell?

The value you select from the drop-down will be the value for that cell. You can use it in calculations or whatever, just like any other cell.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
ztiwokles

Post by ztiwokles »

That would be ideal. Basically the pulldown is the description the next field is the cost. However we could make do with the description and cost being one cell if the cell value is just the cost.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Oh, I see now: the two cells are related but different.

It's very common to use a drop-down to select a value that you use as a key to look a related value from a table--look at the VLOOKUP function. If you try a search, you should be able to find a dozen examples here that show how to do it.
ztiwokles

Post by ztiwokles »

Isn't that a calc function not a writer function? And how do I make the pulldown in writer's table?
acknak

Post by acknak »

Ahh, nuts. I completely missed that you're using Writer: I saw "cell" and just assumed you were talking about Calc.

Sorry.

For this sort of functionality in Writer, I think you'll need to do it in a database and use a Writer form. For that, you'll need to check in the Base (as in database) area of the forum. Sorry--I can't give you any more specific suggestion since I don't work that much with Base.