[Issue] Load style feature removes outline numbering

Using them, Making them, Finding them
norbvor

[Issue] Load style feature removes outline numbering

Post by norbvor »

Thanks for posting this subject. I tried this technique on a document with outline numbering and found the numbering destroyed after the "Load Styles ..." operation. The template that I loaded from had correct outline numbering however. I tried several examples and always "Load Styles..." destroy my entire outline numbering. Looking at the outline numbering dialog afterwards shows that the association of all numbering levels to the paragraph styles is gone and shows "none" instead of "Heading 1" etc.

I assume this is a bug. Sorry if that is the wrong place to post this. I am new here. Thanks for any help on this.

Win2000, OOo 2.3.1
Hagar Delest

Re: [Issue] Load style feature removes outline numbering

Post by Hagar Delest »

As the initial thread is solved: [Solved] How to "redress" a doument in another template? I've split the thread and changed the title of your post.

This is a known bug, you should subscribe and vote for it (up to 2 votes per issue) : Issue 49754 - loading pragraph styles removes outline numbering.
 Edit: This report has been closed but the more relevant report is in fact this one: Issue 61352 - Include outline settings into "Load.Styles" process for "Numbering" option
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
norbvor

Post by norbvor »

Thanks Hager, that explains it. And thanks for splitting the thread. I hope I find a work-around. I am working on a larger documentation project and the template files are still changing from time to time.
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

norbvor wrote:Thanks Hager, that explains it. And thanks for splitting the thread. I hope I find a work-around. I am working on a larger documentation project and the template files are still changing from time to time.
You should be able to safely transfer styles using File>Templates>Organizer... Open the document or template to copy from in one pane (choosing Templates in the drop-down list displays folders containing templates; Documents lets you navigate to the document by activating the File button). Open the document or template to copy to in the other, then hold the Ctrl key and drag-and-drop the desired styles to copy them over.

(I wish the default for straight drag-and-drop were copy, but no, that moves the style instead of copying it. Why they designed it this way is beyond me!)

I never use Load Styles any more. The above method gives surer control over the whole operation. The only problem I've found is that I can't keep the same dialog open to choose a different document to copy into. For some reason, the changes aren't saved. Closing the dialog and opening it again seems to do the trick.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

But the Outline Numbering seems to be a property of the whole document. So your method doesn't work, it doesn't transfer the outline numbering configuration.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10