[Solved] Move the Templates folder somewhere else

Using them, Making them, Finding them
Paddy Landau

[Solved] Move the Templates folder somewhere else

Post by Paddy Landau »

I searched these forums but didn't find an answer; and my OO help system has mysteriously stopped working.

I want to change the folder where I keep my templates. At present, my templates are stored in
/home/paddy/.openoffice.org/3/user/template

However, I want them in
/home/paddy/Templates/OpenOffice

I created the new directory and copied all the templates to the new directory.
I went to OO, Tools -> Options... -> Oopenoffice.org -> Paths
I edited the "Templates" path, removing everything that was there and putting in the new path
/home/paddy/Templates/OpenOffice

However, it continues to use the old folder. If I change a template in the new folder, then OpenOffice still uses the old folder when I open a new document with that template. Likewise, if I delete a template from the old folder, then OpenOffice complains when I try to open a template.

What have I missed?

(I use Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 and OpenOffice 3.1.0)
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri May 15, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Hagar Delest

Re: Move the Templates folder somewhere else

Post by Hagar Delest »

You shouldn't move directly files in the templates location. Use the File>Templates>Organize dialog and import the templates in the new folder. I've not tried yet but it should work.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Paddy Landau

Re: Move the Templates folder somewhere else

Post by Paddy Landau »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:You shouldn't move directly files in the templates location. Use the File>Templates>Organize dialog and import the templates in the new folder. I've not tried yet but it should work.
Well, I struggled to figure out what to do. For future reference, here's how I managed to make it work.
  1. Exit all instances of OpenOffice, including QuickStarter if you have it.
  2. Physically moved my templates from ~/openoffice.org/3/user/template to ~/Templates (and made a backup just in case things went screwy).
  3. In OpenOffice, went to Tools -> Options -> Paths -> Templates, replaced everything there with my desired path /home/paddy/Templates.
  4. Still in OpenOffice, went to File -> Templates -> Organize -> Commands -> Update.
Last edited by Paddy Landau on Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Move the Templates folder somewhere else

Post by Hagar Delest »

Paddy Landau wrote:went to File -> Templates -> Organize -> Commands -> Update.
That should spare some time for other users indeed, thanks for that information!
:super:
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
mike_hurley_1

Post by mike_hurley_1 »

A quick note on this...
On Windows anyway, after you switch the paths you want in the options dialog I also had to make sure to exit the Quickstarter in the systray.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7 RC
Paddy Landau

Post by Paddy Landau »

mike_hurley_1 wrote:I also had to make sure to exit the Quickstarter in the systray.
Thanks, Mike. That's true of Linux too.

I've changed my post to reflect that new information.