Where to find OO Basic Documentation (in 1 package)

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
eCubeH

Where to find OO Basic Documentation (in 1 package)

Post by eCubeH »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using? 2.4
What Operating System (version) are you using? Linux / Fedora 9, Windows Vista/XP
What is your question or comment?

I am trying to find good Openoffice.org BASIC documentation. I have tons of VBA code in my Excel spreadsheets that I am trying to port over.
On the http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... e/Language link, I see some documentation.
Unfortunately, it looks like I have to pick the pieces one page at a time.
Looks like the documenters meant to harass the users.
Unless I am mistaken.

Surely someone has taken all these pages and bundled into a single download.
Can anyone refer me to a link please?
OOo 2.4.X on MS Windows Vista + Linux Fedora 9, Win XP
ccornell
Volunteer

Re: Where to find OO Basic Documentation (in 1 package)

Post by ccornell »

The documentation guys aren't trying to torment you :-) The documentation used to be closed and totally inaccessible to the OOo Community. Sun open sourced the documentation and moved it to the Wiki... the idea being that if it's in the Wiki, everyone can help out with the docs.

There is an fairly easy way to bundle up all the docs you're interested in... use a Collection. I haven't yet set up a master Collection for the Basic Guide - working on it - but you can build your own quite easily.

- Go to each Wiki page you want to compile into a downloadable document and click the Add page link on the left (under My Collection).
- when you have all the pages assembled, you can click Show Collection. This will show you the Collection you have built and you can adjust the page order etc.
- Click the Download as PDF button on the right.

If you save the collection you can reload it later and even download it as an ODT document. Note that the ODT document conversion is still in Alpha test, and the results aren't quite as nice as the PDF.

I hope to have complete master Collections for each Wiki document built up soon - I am working on some ideas for automating it using one of the WikiBots we use on the OOoWiki.
openSUSE 11.4, KDE4.6 with OpenOffice.org 3.3
lapsed librarian

Post by lapsed librarian »

ccornell wrote:I hope to have complete master Collections for each Wiki document built up soon - I am working on some ideas for automating it using one of the WikiBots we use on the OOoWiki.
This would be a godsend to those of us on dialup.
OO 3.2.0 on Linux Mint 9 KDE
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The language as such is documented in the online-help. The thing you are talking to (API) is documented in the SDK. Extract a local copy of the SDK (just for the html-reference), install the XrayTool, set up the Xray tool so it finds the reference and your favourite browser and find your way through the object-tree (in OOo more a tree of services). However there are some concepts to understand behind the mere lookup of methods and properties.

SDK: http://download.openoffice.org/sdk.html
Xray: http://ooomacros.org/dev.php#101416
further understanding with many examples: http://www.pitonyak.org/AndrewMacro.sxw
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice