How to add 'open with spreadsheet' option in Mac

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
komusica

How to add 'open with spreadsheet' option in Mac

Post by komusica »

Hi
I am using mac, I want to open a .txt file with open office spreadsheet.
But unlike linux , I just get one option to 'open with' - openoffice.org.app and this opens the file in openoffice doc.
Can anyone help on how to get separate open with- openoffice applications in mac.
Thanks
Konika
openOffice 3.30 on Mac OS X 10.6.8
Hagar Delest

Re: How to add 'open with spreadsheet' option in mac

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

If you want to change the file association for all .txt files, see [Tutorial] Setting the default program for MS Office formats.
Else, why not open OOo and import the file with Insert>Sheet from file?

Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: How to add 'open with spreadsheet' option in Mac

Post by MrProgrammer »

komusica wrote:I am using mac, I want to open a .txt file with open office spreadsheet.
It's very simple. Either:
  • Create an empty spreadsheet and use Insert > Sheet from File (as Hagar suggested) or
  • Use File > Open > File type = (scroll way down to find) Text CSV
In either case you'll need to use the Text Import dialog (it will start automatically) to specify how the data in the file maps to spreadsheet columns.
komusica wrote:Can anyone help on how to get separate open with- openoffice applications in mac.
This is a different question and unnecessary if all you want to do is open a TXT file but see Showing icons for each application or Icons for Writer, Calc. However, consider that the Open Office developers are not expecting people to have separate applications on a Mac and did not design the Mac build with that possibility in mind, thus you may expose yourself to mysterious problems that others don't have. I have not implemented either of these techniques and can't say how well they work.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
BasicGuy

Re: How to add 'open with spreadsheet' option in Mac

Post by BasicGuy »

to MrProgrammer

The Open/Tile Type/Text CSV does not open a .dat file on a Mac. I went through the whole list as an exercise and nothing would open a .dat file [from a datalogger].

The "sheet from file" method works, but is very tedious when you have a number of files to open and insert into an OO calc template.

I would prefer the programmers of OO separate out CALC because it is the only one of the group I use. I have better alternatives for word processing, and I don't use the rest.
OpenOffice 3.4 on MacOS 10.7.4