Ways to speed up OpenOffice.org?

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
robroper

Ways to speed up OpenOffice.org?

Post by robroper »

Does anyone know of ways to speed up Open Office? It's so unbearably slow. Takes forever to load, takes forever after you click "File" at the top menu for it to display the drop-down menu, takes forever to do anything. I don't understand why it's 10x slower than other apps. Are there things that take time that you can disable? For one thing, I'd like to get it off the network. I see no reason for Open Office to try to go to the internet; everything I do is local to the computer.

Thanks,
Rob
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Mac OS 10.5
mgroenescheij
Volunteer

Re: Ways to speed up Open Office?

Post by mgroenescheij »

Hi Rob,

I don't have a Mac so I limit to the settings in Open Office.
Under Tools --> Options ... OpenOffice.org you can set the amount of memory of Open Office and for Objects.
Your also able to set the frequency of Check for Updates and because the OpenOffice site is frequently down it takes time to check.

Martin
AOO 4.1.5 on MS Windows 10 Professional & MacOS High Sierra 10.13.5
Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Re: Ways to speed up Open Office?

Post by lgusaas »

Under Tools --> Options ... OpenOffice.org you can set the amount of memory of Open Office and for Objects.
On Macs its OpenOffice.org/Preferences/OpenOffice.org
Your also able to set the frequency of Check for Updates and because the OpenOffice site is frequently down it takes time to check.
Turn Online Updates off. There will be no updates until the transition to Apache is finished. Also turn off the Improvement Program.

OOo is not slow on my Mac. It opens in a reasonable amount of time. Drop down menus open immediately. It works at about the same speed as other apps. What Mac do you have? Processor speed? Amount of RAM?

Also, the last version of OOo is 3.3.0
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
Hagar Delest

Re: Ways to speed up OpenOffice.org?

Post by Hagar Delest »

You can also try to reset your OOo user profile but don't transfer your personal data during the welcome process (if you had 2.x before), configuration files from the former version might corrupt the new profile.

Have a look at the printer settings at document load too (Tools>Options>Load/Save>General, uncheck the 'Load printer settings with the document' option).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
xbay

Re: Ways to speed up OpenOffice.org?

Post by xbay »

Dear all,

a hugh performance boost (especially when opening a spreadsheet file) I got by disabeling
Tools > Options > Load/Save > General > Load printer settings with the document

Hope that helps.

Alexander
LibreOffice 3.4.4 on Windows XP SP3 @2GHz DualCore/4GB