[Solved] Mac OS X Lion OOo 3.3.0 Restoring Windows Error

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Hellion

[Solved] Mac OS X Lion OOo 3.3.0 Restoring Windows Error

Post by Hellion »

I am attempting to install the latest version of OpenOffice on my MacBook Pro which has recently been upgraded to OS X Lion. When I launch OpenOffice 3.3.0, I get a persistent window (meaning a window that can not be dismissed without completely shutting down OpenOffice) with the following error message: The application “OpenOffice.org” was forced to quit while trying to restore its windows. Do you want to try to restore its windows again?

I have removed OpenOffice and reinstalled it several times with the same result. Any suggestions on how I can get a working copy running?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Hellion
OpenOffice 3.3
Mac OS X Lion
lgusaas
Volunteer

Re: Mac OS X Lion OpenOffice 3.3.0 Restoring Windows Error

Post by lgusaas »

Try resetting your user profile. Instructions at http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 426#p58403
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
Hellion

Re: Mac OS X Lion OpenOffice 3.3.0 Restoring Windows Error

Post by Hellion »

I think that may have done the trick. I don't speak Mac (I'm mostly a PC guy) so it took me a little while to figure out how to do what you suggested but so far it appears to have worked. There was some strange behavior though before OpenOffice opened normally. When I renamed the user file user.old and opened OpenOffice, I got the same error window that had gotten previously...so my first thought was that the solution had not worked. However, I deleted the newly created user folder and renamed user.old back to just user...then I opened OpenOffice and it opened normally. I'm not sure why it worked that way...but I know how to take "yes" for an answer!

Thank you very much for the assistance!
Hellion
OpenOffice 3.3
Mac OS X Lion
jmt90091

Re: [Solved] Mac OS X Lion OOo 3.3.0 Restoring Windows Error

Post by jmt90091 »

Hi, i'm having the same "restoring windows error" as my macbook crashed when OOo was loading...

I am trying to work out this user profile reset, but I cannot find the OOo user folder anywhere on my hard drive... I have looked under my users/library/application support/ folder, but Openoffice.org does not exist there!!

Is it because i am using the new OSX Lion and the location has changed?
Open Office 3.3 on Mac OSX Lion 2011
jmt90091

Post by jmt90091 »

I must be looking in the wrong place i swear, but this is where i thought i should have found my OpenOffice.org application support folder:
c93eb.png
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pic embedded.
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

It is in the user Library which by default is hidden in Lion. I use MuCommander to access it.

You can use Go to Folder in finder and type /Users/YourUserName/Library to access it.

Phil
jmt90091 wrote:I must be looking in the wrong place i swear, but this is where i thought i should have found my OpenOffice.org application support folder:
c93eb.png
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

jmt90091 wrote:I must be looking in the wrong place i swear, but this is where i thought i should have found my OpenOffice.org application support folder:
Wrong location. You went to: /Library folder. The profile is in the ~/library folder.
The profile is located at: /Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org/3/user

In Lion the Users/Library is hidden. To access it Option-click the Go menu In Lion, as in Snow Leopard, the user-level Library folder is not included in the Finder’s Go menu. But in Lion, if you Option-click the Go menu, your Library folder magically appears in the menu; choose Library from the menu to open the folder in the Finder.

For other methods of viewing the users library see the MacWorld article: "18 ways to view the ~/Library folder in Lion"
http://www.macworld.com/article/161156/ ... _lion.html
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
jmt90091

Post by jmt90091 »

Ok I found the location! Did not know about hidden folders and the "Go To Folder" option, but it's great learning these things on the fly as a Mac/OSX n00b.

Anyways I renamed the User profile folder and restarted OOo, but that didn't fix the annoying "Do you want to try to restore its windows again?" window check box. I think I did get a new clue though, OOo asked to reinstall JRE the java app thing (i'm not too familiar with these apps), when I'm pretty sure I already had it installed.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

jmt90091 wrote:Ok I found the location! Did not know about hidden folders and the "Go To Folder" option, but it's great learning these things on the fly as a Mac/OSX n00b.
That is a change in Lion from previous behaviour.
Anyways I renamed the User profile folder and restarted OOo, but that didn't fix the annoying "Do you want to try to restore its windows again?" window check box. I think I did get a new clue though, OOo asked to reinstall JRE the java app thing (i'm not too familiar with these apps), when I'm pretty sure I already had it installed.
Go to "OpenOffice.org/Preferences/OpenOffice.org/Java" and check "Use a java runtime environment".
Check the JRE (or newest one) in the list of installed JREs.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
jmt90091

Post by jmt90091 »

lgusaas wrote:Go to "OpenOffice.org/Preferences/OpenOffice.org/Java" and check "Use a java runtime environment".
Check the JRE (or newest one) in the list of installed JREs.
OpenOffice wont let me select "Preferences" from its drop down menu. The "restore windows" check box window is preventing quite a few menu options from being selected.
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Restore Windows is another new Lion feature. What is happening to you is bad window is being restored. Try turning it off using the instructions here:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/18/disable- ... w-restore/

Phil
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
jmt90091

Post by jmt90091 »

PGAGA wrote:Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Restore Windows is another new Lion feature. What is happening to you is bad window is being restored. Try turning it off using the instructions here:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/18/disable- ... w-restore/

Phil
Tried and still no luck, but thanks for the suggestion.

Is there a way to fully "uninstall" programs on Mac... and remove all "registry" entries... cos I have little to no idea about what the problem could be, especially if the first "profile reset" fix didn't work.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

jmt90091 wrote:Is there a way to fully "uninstall" programs on Mac... and remove all "registry" entries... cos I have little to no idea about what the problem could be, especially if the first "profile reset" fix didn't work.
There is no registry on a Mac.Besides the program in the applications folder and the user profile in user/Library/Application support, there are a couple of files in ~/Library/Preferences — "org.openoffice.script.LSSharedFileList.plist" and "org.openoffice.script.plist"

Also look for for a .lock file in the profile, or the application, or documents. You will need to enable viewing hidden files by using a third party app such as TinkerTool to do so: http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
jmt90091

Post by jmt90091 »

lgusaas wrote:
jmt90091 wrote:Is there a way to fully "uninstall" programs on Mac... and remove all "registry" entries... cos I have little to no idea about what the problem could be, especially if the first "profile reset" fix didn't work.
There is no registry on a Mac.Besides the program in the applications folder and the user profile in user/Library/Application support, there are a couple of files in ~/Library/Preferences — "org.openoffice.script.LSSharedFileList.plist" and "org.openoffice.script.plist"

Also look for for a .lock file in the profile, or the application, or documents. You will need to enable viewing hidden files by using a third party app such as TinkerTool to do so: http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html
So i attempted to delete the OOo application, the application support folder, the preference files in the ~/Libary/Preferences folder, and the .lock files in the preference folder, and then reinstall OOo from a new .dmg download... and the annoying window STILL comes up!!! This is quite outrageous.

:?: stumped
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Do you have Java installed - in particular the Java customized for Lion?

Phil
jmt90091

Post by jmt90091 »

PGAGA wrote:Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Do you have Java installed - in particular the Java customized for Lion?

Phil
Yes
GRMrGecko

Post by GRMrGecko »

I have found a solution to this issue. I do not know why this has be marked as "[Solved]" while it doesn't provide the answer as to how to fix it.

Here is how you fix it.

In the Finder, make a new window. Go into the Go menu and hold down option to reveal the Library folder and select that folder in the menu. Find the folder "Saved Application State" in the Library and delete the folder "org.libreoffice.script.savedState" (Should be similar for OpenOffice), now open LibreOffice and your problem will be fixed.

I will be posting on my blog step by step instructions with pictures for other people to find and learn how to fix this issue.
LibreOffice 3.4.2 on Mac OS X 10.7
jmt90091

Post by jmt90091 »

GRMrGecko wrote:I have found a solution to this issue. I do not know why this has be marked as "[Solved]" while it doesn't provide the answer as to how to fix it.

Here is how you fix it.

In the Finder, make a new window. Go into the Go menu and hold down option to reveal the Library folder and select that folder in the menu. Find the folder "Saved Application State" in the Library and delete the folder "org.libreoffice.script.savedState" (Should be similar for OpenOffice), now open LibreOffice and your problem will be fixed.

I will be posting on my blog step by step instructions with pictures for other people to find and learn how to fix this issue.
IT WORKED. YOU SIR, ARE A GENIUS!!!!!

That is such a relief. That window really was like a mental itch on my mind that i couldnt scratch.
musikante

Post by musikante »

Thank you so much GRMrGecko. I spent, literally, hours with increasing frustration trying to solve the problem. At one point I was willing to live with the annoying window somewhere on my desktop. However, I could not use any controls (like copying, paste, etc) in my documents. I couldn't find the previous version in OpenOffice.org. People who don't have Lion, do not understand some of the frustrations we are going through (starting with the mouse).
You mention you have a blog... how can I find it? You must have interesting "stuff" there. I am not very computer literate,and wouldn't know how to find it.
Open Office 3.1.1 000310m19 (Build 9420)
iMac OS X Version 10.6.2
GRMrGecko

Post by GRMrGecko »

musikante wrote:You mention you have a blog... how can I find it? You must have interesting "stuff" there. I am not very computer literate,and wouldn't know how to find it.
I posted a guide that makes it easy to fix and gives non-tech people an understanding with pictures and so on at http://blog.mrgeckosmedia.com/2011/08/f ... -lion.html
LibreOffice 3.4.2 on Mac OS X 10.7
bendbanks

Post by bendbanks »

Hi

Just confirming that I had the same problem, renamed the user in /users/[username]/library/application_support/ rebooted and works like nothing ever happened.

Cheers
Open Office 3.3.o on MacPro
tzampogna

Post by tzampogna »

The workarounds above weren't working for me for OS X Lion 10.7.2. I had to remove the Saved Application State. This link describes how to do that: http://tonyzampogna.com/2012/01/07/open ... ows-popup/
Mac OSX 10.7.2
OpenOffice Version 3.3.0
DaimonTheFallen

Post by DaimonTheFallen »

So I have tried all the methods above and nothing has worked. I still get the same 'Restore' pop-up error. I tried to go into the 'Save Application State' folder, however to my surprise, it doesn't exist on my computer. I still getting this annoying pop-up.

Any ideas?
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Mac OS X 10.7.4
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

DaimonTheFallen wrote:So I have tried all the methods above and nothing has worked. I still get the same 'Restore' pop-up error. I tried to go into the 'Save Application State' folder, however to my surprise, it doesn't exist on my computer. I still getting this annoying pop-up.
Did your really? I posted earlier in this thread that the Users/Library folder is hidden in Lion.
Any ideas?
Go to http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 92#p198726
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
akravitz

Post by akravitz »

I used this method and it worked perfectly!! Thank you GRMrGecko!!!

--Akravitz

Postby GRMrGecko » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:01 am
I have found a solution to this issue. I do not know why this has be marked as "[Solved]" while it doesn't provide the answer as to how to fix it.

Here is how you fix it.

I will be posting on my
blog step by step instructions with pictures for other people to find and learn how to fix this issue.
OPenoffice.org 3.1
fantasticdevelopment

Post by fantasticdevelopment »

I've just joined the forum to say that I've found a solution that works for me which I think some of you may be interested in:

Although deleting the Saved Application State would fix the issue momentarily, I'd always see the problem occur on reopening OpenOffice again.

For some unknown reason their website is down but I'm using a preference app called RestoreMeNot. I found a working download link on CNET:[http://download.cnet.com/RestoreMeNot/3 ... 09511.html] . Using it, you can disable restoration for any app you choose.

Hope that helps someone!
Last edited by thomasjk on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Disabled live link
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on OS X 10.7.5
bhala85

Post by bhala85 »

Awosome! solution.... i have download the "RestoreMeNot" and added open office in to that relaunch finder and again open the office its works fine.....

[http://download.cnet.com/RestoreMeNot/3 ... 09511.html]

Thanks......

-Bhala85
Last edited by thomasjk on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Disabled live link
OpenOffice 3.4.0 with MacOS 10.7.5
shutupmarie

Post by shutupmarie »

I did that and still coundn't get rid of the pop up window (don't restore windows / restore windows). I can't access the documents, nor quit the program, nor anything. Nothing works, I ca't even turn off my computer because of this pop up. Help!
OpenOffice 3.1 on MACOS X 10.7.5
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

shutupmarie wrote:
I did that and still coundn't get rid of the pop up window (don't restore windows / restore windows). I can't access the documents, nor quit the program, nor anything. Nothing works, I ca't even turn off my computer because of this pop up. Help!
Force Quit OpenOffice and any other program that is not responding.
In menubar click on , then click on Force Quit. Or use "Option/Command/esc" (⌥⌘ ⎋) to get the menu, then select OpenOffice.org and click on Force Quit.

Note: Your signature says you are using OOo 3.1, which is very old. You should update to the latest version, AOO 3.4.1
http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
peterlhomer

Post by peterlhomer »

To GRMrGecko a sincere thanks for ridding me of my "restore windows" problem...you did indeed find my issue.

kThanks
Peter
OpenOffice for Mac 3.4.1