[Solved] All OpenOffice.org files changed into italics?

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
florite

[Solved] All OpenOffice.org files changed into italics?

Post by florite »

Help, please. I have tried looking for this problem by searching this site but no one else seems to have written about it.

This morning my iMac updated Apple software, by closing the computer and installing which it usually does. Afterwards when I clicked on Open Office files all of my files had been changed to italics? This is about 4000 files so I need to find some overall way to change them back. The underlining is intact I cannot find anything in bold but I do not use it much.

I am using Snowleopard on an iMac with OpenOffice 3.1.1

Thank you,
Florite
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Florite
Snow Leopard, iMac, Open Office 3.11
RoryOF

Re: All Open Office files changed into italics?

Post by RoryOF »

What font was used in these files? You need to look at that Font at system level and make sure it has not been swapped for an Italic font, which is what your problem looks like at first consideration.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
florite

Post by florite »

The font is New Times Roman -- how do I look at the system level fonts?

Thanks for your help.
Florite
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

florite wrote: how do I look at the system level fonts?
Use Font Book. It is in your applications folder.

There has been a problem with fonts for some people with Snow Leopard updates. That might be the source of your problem. Use Font Book and resolve all duplicate fonts. You may need to empty the font cache as well.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
florite

Re: All OpenOffice.org files changed into italics?

Post by florite »

Yes, I am sure you are right. There were a number of fonts that had become multiples including Times New Roman. I followed the advice on how to turn off the duplicates. I have not been able to find anything about how to empty the cache or even where to find it. I ran the "validate file..." which listed many fonts as having minor problems but gave no information on how to repair them.

Thank you again,
Florite
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

I ran the "validate file..." which listed many fonts as having minor problems but gave no information on how to repair them.
Are they the duplicate fonts that you have turned off? If so, you can ignore. Use the Help function in Font Book to get much more information.
I have not been able to find anything about how to empty the cache or even where to find it.
Try Font Finagler athttp://homepage.mac.com/mdouma46/fontfinagler/
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
florite

Post by florite »

Problem solved! I called Apple. The tech was unware of the issue but because I had followed your suggestions, she was able to make solution as follows --
She had me close the font book and Open Office then has me open a Finder Window at the home symbol then go to Library – Preferences and drag the com.apple.FontBook.plist icon to the desktop. When I re-opened Open Office the italics had vanished except for the one place in which I had used them!

Your suggestions were the key to solving the problem - I was not looking forward to changing 4000 documents by hand.

Thank you so very much!
Florite