Command time out

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
stanituo

Command time out

Post by stanituo »

I'm using OpenOffice 2.3.0 with MAC OS X Leopard and X11. When I launch the program I have a pop-up said COMMAND TIME OUT and I can click CANCEL or OK! If I click CANCEL the program ends so I click OK and the program starts normally. I'd know if it's possibile remove this boring pop-up! Thanks
ccornell
Volunteer

Re: COMMAND TIME OUT

Post by ccornell »

This is a common problem on OSX 10.5 Leopard. As I understand it, there is a timeout while waiting for X11 to start up in the background. X11 takes time to start, and must be started before the current version of OpenOffice.org can be launched. OSX gets impatient and pops up the timeout message (it's not OpenOffice.org at "fault" here as I understand it).

If you launch X11 first, then start OpenOffice.org the popup message should not appear.

This should no longer be an issue when the OSX native version of OpenOffice.org is released later this year.
openSUSE 11.4, KDE4.6 with OpenOffice.org 3.3
stanituo

Post by stanituo »

I understand this. So it's possibile disable this pop up from X11? There's a script where it riside? Do you know?
Thanks for you attention
ccornell
Volunteer

Post by ccornell »

I'm not a Mac person (I use Linux). Everything I read from searching in Google, it says that if you launch X11 first, and then start OpenOffice.org you will not get the popup.
openSUSE 11.4, KDE4.6 with OpenOffice.org 3.3
wurzel
Volunteer

Post by wurzel »

stanituo wrote:I understand this. So it's possibile disable this pop up from X11? There's a script where it riside? Do you know?
Thanks for you attention
The problem is reported as fixed in the latest developer versions of OOo. If you like, you can always try looking in the soffice launch script which resides in the OpenOffice.org 2.3.app directory under Contents/MacOS/ and see whether anything there takes your fancy, possibly the final wait instruction could be bumped up a bit, I don't know how this bash script works so don't count on anything I say here as being correct. The solution might even lie in the bootstrap variables or a combination of them with the launch script.

Alex
cefran

Post by cefran »

This should no longer be an issue when the OSX native version of OpenOffice.org is released later this year.
I also have leopard with X11. My concern is: should I install the OSX version of OOo now that I have documents under X11? and if I do will it screw up what I have ?
OOo 2.2.X on Mac OSx Leopard
smsm1

Post by smsm1 »

The command timed out won't be fixed for the X11 version of OpenOffice.org. The problem was introduced by Apple with a change in the way that Leopard deals with X11. This problem is irrelevant to the Aqua version.

The script in question is an AppleScript named main.scpt or similar. (Sorry I don't have an X11 version of ooo installed at the moment).
smsm1

Post by smsm1 »