Crash and corrupted file! Can I recover it - how??

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
nininew

Crash and corrupted file! Can I recover it - how??

Post by nininew »

I have a 17 page report I've been working on and today OO.o crashed and says my file is corrupted. Is there anyway I can recover it - it was a week of hard work and research. I have a macbook and work in leopard. Please help me~ I'm desperate and a newbie, not a good combination!!!!!!!
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard
Hagar Delest

Re: Crash and corrupted file! Can I recover it - how??

Post by Hagar Delest »

See in your backup folder if you've the last version (see [Tutorial] The OOo user profile).

Do you save in native ODF format or .doc? In latter case, few chances to recover anything. In former case, can you upload it (see here: How to attach a document here)?

Good luck.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
nininew

Post by nininew »

Okay ~ I went to OO.o, clicked on tools ~ options ~ paths ~ backup and I see my document!!

I clicked on it, so the new window has the heading "open" but it shows my document in pale gray and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. It won't let me highlight it! I feel like I'm so close to recovering it - now what?
nininew

Re: [Tutorial] The OOo user profile

Post by nininew »

Also, it is in ODF and if my file is shown in light gray then maybe it is hidden? I'm not sure how to "make sure your file explorer is configured to display the hidden files and folders." Could you guide me through making hidden files visible. Sorry, I'm so new at this.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

It should be a filename.bak file, just open it. I don't understand what you're seeing. Can you upload a screenshot (see: How to attach a document here)?

NB: don't post in a tutorial, I've put the post back here. Don't know for your file browser, try CTRL+H perhaps.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
MacUserin NYC

Post by MacUserin NYC »

any solution to this? I'm having the exact same problem, with the grey unclickable files listed under paths, then under backups. how do I make them viewable. Please give detailed instructions because I'm not tech savvy at all.

thanks!
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

MacUserin NYC wrote:any solution to this? I'm having the exact same problem, with the grey unclickable files listed under paths, then under backups. how do I make them viewable. Please give detailed instructions because I'm not tech savvy at all.

thanks!
Going to Preferences/OpenOffice.org/paths gives you the location of your backup files. You then go to finder to the location given. You cannot access your backup files from ' Preferences/OpenOffice.org/paths'. You are getting grey files listed because you clicked on "Edit" which gives you the ability to change the location of your backup files. You can not open them from there.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura