Multi-architecture binaries?

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
J.B. Nicholson-Owens

Multi-architecture binaries?

Post by J.B. Nicholson-Owens »

I'd like to deploy OOo in a lab running MacOS X with machines that are a mix of PPC and Intel. Are there any multi-architecture (Intel and PPC) US-en OOo binaries? The only DMGs I see are single architecture binaries and Intel-only US-en binaries. I don't see any US-en PPC binaries of the latest OOo (currently version 3.0).

Thanks.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Re: Multi-architecture binaries?

Post by lgusaas »

There are no multi-architecture binaries for Macs (they would greatly increase the size of an already large download)

Mac PPC builds of OO.o can be found on the good-day site. 3.0.0rc4/ is the same as the official release of OO.o 3.
http://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/Ope ... rg/MacOSX/

Note: The US English versions do not have _en-US in the file name. e.g. The US English PPC version of OO.o is named OOo_3.0.0rc4_MacOSXPowerPC_install.dmg
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
J.B. Nicholson-Owens

I'm aware that the download would be large, but I figured this wouldn't be a problem because there are ways of not having to deal with the storage and bandwidth issues by uploading to a Sourceforge-like site or The Internet Archive; sites that routinely deal with large binaries (including ISO images of DVDs and software packages in the case of The Internet Archive).

Has anyone gone to the effort of creating a MacOS X MAB of OOo?
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

You do realize we're not the developers, just users trying to help other users. The developers don't hang out here.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
J.B. Nicholson-Owens

Yes, however that doesn't answer my question. Since OOo is FLOSS, anyone can make the MAB distribution and host it somewhere that won't charge them for bandwidth or disk space (including the locations I mentioned). I figured it would be advantageous to first ask if anyone had done the work of building an MAB OOo for MacOS X thus avoiding duplicating the effort.
UweAltmann
Volunteer

Post by UweAltmann »

anyone can make the MAB distribution
...if he or she knows how to do it for such a large project. Most probably you would end up in a download twice the size containing both versions and a small startup script deciding which one to start :-)
As far as i know from developers, forget it. No one has that much time to invest in a dead architecture (sorry for that).
Uwe

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

This issue has also been discussed in the NeoOffice forums. (NeoOffice is an independent Mac port/fork of OpenOffice.org). There is a neowiki article on Deploying NeoOffice on Multiple Architectures based in great part on this post in the trinity forums.

Maybe that will provide you with some ideas? The NeoOffice project uses it's own Mac porting code, so the solution suggested there may need some alteration to make it work with OpenOffice.org. I'm afraid I can't offer any assistance in that regard, as that whole discussion is over my head.

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
UweAltmann
Volunteer

Post by UweAltmann »

kabing wrote: There is a neowiki article on Deploying NeoOffice on Multiple Architectures
kabing
Thats great. You may use that also for OpenOffice.org - just replace "NeoOffice.app" by "OpenOffice.org.app" - or the name of any other application which ships in seperate versions. There is no special NeoOffice thing in the solution - it will work with every software.
Uwe

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.