[Solved] "File Conflict" Trying to Install OOo 3.0 RC1

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
kenmorgan

[Solved] "File Conflict" Trying to Install OOo 3.0 RC1

Post by kenmorgan »

I couldn't find anything on this error message in the forum, so maybe no one else had this problem. After issuing the command rpm -Uvih *rpm in the RPMS directory, I got these messages, and the installation aborted.

file /opt/openoffice.org/basis3.0/program/libbasebmpli.so from install of ooobasis3.0-core04-3.0.0-9350.i586 conflicts with file from package ooobasis3.0-headless-3.0.0-9328.i586
file /opt/openoffice.org/basis3.0/program/libvclplug_svpli.so from install of ooobasis3.0-core04-3.0.0-9350.i586 conflicts with file from package ooobasis3.0-headless-3.0.0-9328.i586
file /opt/openoffice.org/basis3.0/program/resource/upden-US.res from install of ooobasis3.0-en-US-res-3.0.0-9350.i586 conflicts with file from package ooobasis3.0-en-US-onlineupd-3.0.0-9328.i586
file /opt/openoffice.org3/share/extension/install/dict-en.oxt from install of openoffice.org3-dict-en-3.0.0-9350.i586 conflicts with file from package ooobasis3.0-dict-en-3.0.0-9328.i586

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Bill
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
CentOS 6 Linux
Native Apache Open Office 4.1.3
Hagar Delest

Re: "File Conflict" Trying to Install OOO 3.0 RC1

Post by Hagar Delest »

It seems you had a previous beta version of OOo. Uninstall it first. Better rename also the user profiles, they can lead to issues.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RGB

Post by RGB »

As Hagar suggested, it seems you have beta 2 installed (the 3928 packages). There were many changes on packages between the beta and the rc1, that's why an update is not a good idea. Uninstall beta 2 first with rpm -e *3.0.0-9328.rpm
BTW, the U (update) parameter implies the i (install), there is no need for the i if you use U: rpm -Uvh *.rpm is enough.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
kenmorgan

Post by kenmorgan »

Thanks for the quick replies. Understandably, I was waiting with bated breath! :)

I always uninstall previous versions before installing a new version:

rpm -qa | grep openoffice > rmlist
rpm -e `cat rmlist`

Then I remove the "hidden" user directory in /home. Also, there is no ooo directory currently in /opt. So I'm not sure where Beta 2 files might be lurking.

P.S.: Thanks, RGB, for the tip of rpm options!
CentOS 6 Linux
RGB

Post by RGB »

billquinn wrote:I always uninstall previous versions before installing a new version:

rpm -qa | grep openoffice > rmlist
rpm -e `cat rmlist`
With these commands you are looking for packages with "openoffice" on the name, but if you look at the error message:
... conflicts with file from package ooobasis3.0-headless-3.0.0-9328.i586
you will see that not all the packages have the full "openoffice" word on the name ;)
Last edited by RGB on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try that:

Code: Select all

rpm -qa | grep ooo > rmlist
rpm -qa | grep openoffice >> rmlist
And check that there are only OOo packages in the rmlist file.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
kenmorgan

Post by kenmorgan »

Thanks to your help, I was able to get the install to work, and I checked that Writer executes properly. Thanks so much.

There are a few mysteries remaining, however. I like to understand the things that I do, so if anyone could provide any insight on these questions, I would really appreciate it.

(1) Yes, there were a whole slew of files "ooobasis..." that needed to be uninstalled. My use of OO goes back all the way to OO 1.x.x, and this installation problem never occurred before during installs of the next version. Am I correct in assuming that these "ooobasis..." files did not exist prior to version 3?

(2) I am wondering why there were two rpms for each distro in the desktop-integration file. For example, my two choices were:

openoffice.org3.0-redhat-menus-3.0-9347.noarch.rpm
openoffice.org3.0-redhat-menus-3.0-9350.noarch.rpm

I installed the latter. Was that the latest version?

(3) During the installation of the desktop integration, two groups of messages came up. The first is this:

Unknown media type in type 'all/all'
Unknown media type in type 'all/allfiles'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mms'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmst'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmsu'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/pnm'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspt'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspu'
Unknown media type in type 'fonts/package'
Unknown media type in type 'interface/x-winamp-skin'

What do these messages mean?

(4) The second group is this:

/usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
/usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache

It is, of course, reassuring to see the word "successfully," but what is taking place here?

(5) With 2.4.x and earlier, after installing the desktop integration, upon reboot, the small OO icons simply appeared in the panel. This time they did not. I can get them there, but I'm wondering why it was not done automatically as in the past.

(6) This is not an OO question, but I am curious about this forum, since I just joined this morning. I posted my original message under "Setup and Troubleshooting," and someone moved it to a subgroup "Linux." Then I noticed that, yes, I could have selected Windows, Linux, or Mac under "Setup and Troubleshooting." But then what category of questions go simply under "Setup and Troubleshooting"?
CentOS 6 Linux
acknak

Post by acknak »

billquinn wrote:(1) ... Am I correct in assuming that these "ooobasis..." files did not exist prior to version 3?
Yes. The exact files and installation layout has been changing as well, making it even more important to uninstall the previous version. I've found that isn't even enough, you should really check and remove any files leftover after the uninstall.
(2) I am wondering why there were two rpms for each distro in the desktop-integration file. For example...
I don't know why you'd ever want two versions like that. It's probably just an oversight.
(3) ... Unknown media type in type 'interface/x-winamp-skin'
What do these messages mean?
I don't know for sure what they mean; I don't install the desktop-integration (I leave that to my distro integrators). The messages come from the utility "update-mime-database", and as far as I can tell, they're informational, not critical.
(4) ... /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache
... what is taking place here?
The system caches lots of things to make access faster; in this case I guess that the OOo icons are being added to a cache.
(5) ... upon reboot, the small OO icons simply appeared in the panel. This time they did not. ... why it was not done automatically as in the past.
No idea. Could be an oversight; could be a decision that this is something that should be left to the user. What if every application put buttons on the panel? Could make a bit of a mess.

BTW, you should never need to reboot a Linux system to complete an installation. Even most desktop changes should not require special action, but at most, a log out/log in should refresh the changes. Of course rebooting doesn't hurt, but it usually doesn't help either.
(6) ... what category of questions go simply under "Setup and Troubleshooting"?
Issues for setup and troubleshooting of OOo itself; i.e., that are not specific to any OS.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23