[Solved] Kinda, Open Office won't detect Java

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
deamon_knight

[Solved] Kinda, Open Office won't detect Java

Post by deamon_knight »

I have open office 2.3 running on Ubunty 7.10. Runs normally unless I wan't to use one of the file wizards, it reports i need a Java runtime enviornment installed. I have Java 6 installed, but OO fails to detect it and I can't seem to pint it to the correct directory. Uninstalled Java & OO but no luck. Any suggestions?
Last edited by deamon_knight on Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: Open Office won't detect Java

Post by Hagar Delest »

Make sure that OOo has detected your Java version : Tools>Options>OOo>Java, wait a while and you should see a checkmark in front of a version.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
deamon_knight

Post by deamon_knight »

I'm in tool>options>OOo>java,
"Use a java runtime environment" is checked, but the list of JREs is empty.

How long of a while should I wait? Is it based on CPU power? Although this is a low end machine, I have waited up to a 1/2 Hour with no luck.

I can't seem to specify a JRE with the "Add" button, I'm not sure what its looking for.

I'm using Xubuntu 7.1 and added OO from the repositories. I'm going to try to download OO add the whole package, 2.3.1, manually.
deamon_knight

Post by deamon_knight »

The Solution appeas to be an "Apt-get install openoffice.org" rather than using synaptic to install the different apps piecemeal. I don't know why this works, but it did.
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Kinda, Open Office won't detect Java

Post by Hagar Delest »

You have to install the whole application because (and that's even more true with the Ubuntu version), it's made of many packages needed for all apps. The Java had not been installed on your system (rather strange BTW) and the dependencies in Synaptic have made it to be installed.
deamon_knight

Post by deamon_knight »

Apparently true, however, Writer, Calc, Etc. are listed seperately in "Add/Remove" in Xubuntu, I know Java 6 was installed, but Writer couldn't see it. I can only assume some dependencies were not being called when Writer was requested. Usually if another components package is need it is added automatically. but that was not the case here.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

deamon_knight wrote:Usually if another components package is need it is added automatically. but that was not the case here.
Yes, it's not the first time I see that issue (needing to install again the meta package openoffice.org). I don't really trust the Ubuntu packages, too much bugs.
BaldNerd

Post by BaldNerd »

This problem still exists with the out-of-the-box OO install in Ubuntu 8.04. Fortunately, the above fix still works. Thanks for the help.