[Issue] Any hope for a binary tarball version?

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
zibeli

[Issue] Any hope for a binary tarball version?

Post by zibeli »

I installed OpenOffice 3.3.0 from a generic GNU/Linux tarball version downloaded from Oracle, but for version 3.4 I find only package manager versions. Is there any chance of a plain tarball version of the binaries being offered for those of us who do not use package managers?
Last edited by zibeli on Thu May 17, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on custom GNU/Linux
RGB

Re: any hope for a binary tarball version?

Post by RGB »

People that do not use package managers are really a minority, so I would not hold my breath waiting for a tarball binary version.

As a workaround, you may use alien or rpm2cpio to convert packages to tarball. See for example here
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
kingfisher
Volunteer

Re: any hope for a binary tarball version?

Post by kingfisher »

It would be the smart move to make because any Linux user can install a tar package. There is only one Linux version of Firefox, for example, no need for .deb and .rpm versions which can bork your system and desktop integration for a few. It won't happen unless it is raised on the dev list and anything could happen there.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
Hagar Delest

Re: Any hope for a binary tarball version?

Post by Hagar Delest »

-> [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions.
For the dev mailing list, see the AOO support web pages.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
zibeli

Re: Any hope for a binary tarball version?

Post by zibeli »

OK, per the tutorial I submitted an enhancement request to add a generic Linux binary tarball to supplement the RPM and DEB packages. Any others who could use this format can find and vote for this request via 119373 - Request for AOO binary distribution in generic Linux tarball format

Thanks!
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on custom GNU/Linux