[Solved] Cannot open documents from NFS share

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
hannaman

[Solved] Cannot open documents from NFS share

Post by hannaman »

I am using LibreOffice on Ubuntu 11.04. I have been unable to open any documents that reside on my NFS share, however if I copy them locally, they work fine. When ever I try to open a document, LibreOffice just hangs and I have to kill the soffice.bin process manually. This only happens when reading from the NFS share and it looks like LibreOffice is the only program having a problem, Abiword has no problems opening the same documents on the NFS share. After searching through these forums, I tried to change the FILE_LOCKING setting in /etc/libreoffice/soffice.sh to no, but that changed nothing in LibreOffice's behavior. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
Last edited by hannaman on Sat May 07, 2011 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Ubuntu 11.04
RoryOF

Re: Cannot open documents from NFS share

Post by RoryOF »

There is a suggested fix at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1645957

another posting I have seen suggests you should install nfs-common.

Somewhere else I have seen a suggestion that one should upgrade from NFSv3 to NFSv4 [my memory may be faulty on the precise versions].
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
hannaman

Re: Cannot open documents from NFS share

Post by hannaman »

Thank you for the link. After reading that post, I started looking through the /usr/lib/libreoffice/soffice script. I found that if I run soffice.bin directly without that script, libreoffice looks to run fine. What I ended up doing was removing the soffice script entirely and creating a link to soffice.bin directly (so the menu items would work without being modified). LibreOffice now works like I would expect. I guess this issue is solved for me, but I will probably have to keep making this change with future upgrades.
As for the other suggestions, nfs-common is already installed and unfortunately, I am at the mercy of my NAS manufacturer as to what NFS version that they use in their firmware.
LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Ubuntu 11.04