[Solved] Default color scheme (useful in dark themes)

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
Chemtox

[Solved] Default color scheme (useful in dark themes)

Post by Chemtox »

If you're using a "real" dark theme, with dark backgrounds, OpenOffice looks terrible:
A grizzly Calc in KDE's Obsidian Coast fashion
A grizzly Calc in KDE's Obsidian Coast fashion
Dark theme.png (29.19 KiB) Viewed 40183 times
Even worse, with a document with hardcoded colors (where the text has manually been set to black, for example), the foreground's color can be the same as the background, and you can't see a thing.

You can solve it with "SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen", as mentioned many times in the forum, to force the generic, light theme. But then OpenOffice is shiny... *too* shiny! (only three attachments??? No screencap here then. =/).

Or, you can change the color scheme, so OpenOffice still looks nicely noir, while the documents appear as they should. To get the default scheme, I simply changed to the generic theme and matched the Automatic colors with named ones, saved the scheme, and restarted normally:
Best of both worlds: have one's Calc remain on the dark side, and read it too!
Best of both worlds: have one's Calc remain on the dark side, and read it too!
Dark theme with default color scheme.png (29.48 KiB) Viewed 40183 times
You can do the same, (the scheme uses only Grey and Light Grey btw, don't bother with the other shades), or you can download this here magical archive that may or may not save you the hassle (let me know, I've not tried in other computer :) ). It contains the default scheme, and a second with a 10% gray as background instead of white, which is easier on my eyes.
OpenOffice Default Color Scheme.tgz
Default color scheme, unpack in ~/.openoffice.org/3/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office
(1.12 KiB) Downloaded 9088 times
It should be extracted in "~/.openoffice.org/3/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office" or your equivalent OpenOffice settings directory, but if you have customised your OpenOffice's user interface before, you may want to check their contents first, and possibly merge things by hand if you don't want to lose your own changes. Being XML, it shouldn't be too hard.

Yes, I do wish this was easier to do. And since you can switch schemes pretty quickly, I wouldn't mind to check any decent dark schemes, if anyone has some to share. :P
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.2 on Kubuntu 10.11
staple

Re: [Color scheme] Default color scheme (useful in dark them

Post by staple »

Perfect, thanks Chemtox exactly what I needed. The grey's a good idea, I tried a similar thing with the white background in Firefox but it's not really workable.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Ubuntu 10.10, KDE 4.5.1 ObsidianCoast dark theme
Angelo_P81

Re: [Solved] Default color scheme (useful in dark themes)

Post by Angelo_P81 »

Hello, how can I use the color scheme above with Openoffice 4 and Windows 10?
Openoffice 4, Windows 10
Chemtox

Post by Chemtox »

Angelo_P81 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:32 pm Hello, how can I use the color scheme above with Openoffice 4 and Windows 10?
Hi Angelo,

I use LibreOffice now. Not sure if it's the same for OO, but for LO all I had to do was set a dark theme on my operative system's control panel. In Winbugs, you also must tick "Enable experimental feature (may be unstable)" at Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Advanced.
soffice.bin_j3X6fEHHD0.png
soffice.bin_j3X6fEHHD0.png (13.18 KiB) Viewed 3035 times
Angelo_P81

Post by Angelo_P81 »

Hello, I've also enabled dark mode in Wndows, dut nothing seems to change; however I'm not sure about how to install "OpenOffice Default Color Scheme.tgz" → I've extracted the file in this location but I don't know if it's right:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\share\registry"
Openoffice 4, Windows 10
Chemtox

Post by Chemtox »

I don't know either, but "OpenOffice Default Color Scheme.tgz" is just that: the default colour scheme for the document, with a white background; it has nothing to do with the theme of the application. To get a dark theme in OO on Windows, you'll probably need to fiddle with the settings, though I suspect it won't be as easy as with LO, if at all possible.