Slow Open/Save dialog folder navigation.

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
vitre

Slow Open/Save dialog folder navigation.

Post by vitre »

Hi.
Here is my problem with OO save dialog window on Kubuntu 10.4.
OO version is 3.2 from repositories.

:arrow: Save/Open dialog window operates very slowly. It takes 6 seconds to go inside a folder or return to a parent folder.

Option "Use OpenOffice.org dialogs" is disabled so i guess OO uses dolphin to navigate files and folders.
When I enable "OO dialogs" problem disappears, but navigation is complicated because there is no folder tree.

If dolphin slows OO, is it possible to make OO operate with another file manager, Thunar for example?
Or may be there is another solution?

Any help is appreciated!
Kubuntu amd64 10.4,
OpenOffice 3.2
vitre

Re: Slow Open/Save dialog folder navigation.

Post by vitre »

I found how reproduce the bug.

It always appease if you do:

1) Open any document
2) Copy some text
3) Create new docement
4) Insert text
5) Try to "save as"...

Does anyone has the same problem?
Kubuntu amd64 10.4,
OpenOffice 3.2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can't tell because I'm running xubuntu. Perhaps the Sun version doesn't have this problem: [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RGB

Post by RGB »

The problem exists because the kde4 "integration" introduced on all go-oo derivatives (and disabled on Sun build): this integration is completely broken and introduce lots of problems. Try to uninstall the kde4 integration package and delete the libraries called libvclplug_kde4lx.so and libvclplug_kdelx.so you find on this folder:
<path to OOo Install folder>/basis-link/program/
You will lose the kde file picker but OOo will work better. In fact, if you use qtcurve which also apply to gtk programs, OOo will look better.
Or follow Hagar's advice and install the Sun build ;)
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
A-ZELLER

Post by A-ZELLER »

vitre wrote:Does anyone has the same problem?
Yes! :evil: And I have to use double-click in the Ooo-Dialogues, which I hate!

Unfortunately in the older sun-Version under Kubuntu 8.04 this problem doesn't exists. :crazy:
RGB wrote:Try to uninstall the kde4 integration package and delete the libraries called libvclplug_kde4lx.so and libvclplug_kdelx.so you find on this folder:
<path to OOo Install folder>/basis-link/program/
You will lose the kde file picker but OOo will work better.
Can you tell me wich pakages exactly have to be de-installed? (I'm a little chicken-hearted :roll: )

And what do you mean by “kde file picker”?
RGB wrote: In fact, if you use qtcurve which also apply to gtk programs, OOo will look better.
Or follow Hagar's advice and install the Sun build ;)
Oh, I think OOo looks nearly ugly in the new version. Can you give a step-by-step description to change this, please? :mrgreen:
Last edited by A-ZELLER on Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
August 2010: using Open Office org 3.2.0 - Kubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) - KDE 4.4.2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

A-ZELLER wrote:Can you tell me wich pakages exactly have to be de-installed? (I'm a little chicken-hearted :roll: )
Have you gone to Synaptic and searched for something like 'kde-integration' in the list of the OOo packages?
A-ZELLER wrote:And what do you mean by “kde file picker”?
The dialog to open or save a file.
A-ZELLER wrote:Oh, I think OOo looks nearly ugly in the new version. Can you to give a step-by-step description to change this, please? :mrgreen:
le.Please make a new topic for that problem, describing what you don't like. Attach a screenshot if possible.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
A-ZELLER

Post by A-ZELLER »

Dialogues
Hagar de l'Est wrote:
A-ZELLER wrote:And what do you mean by “kde file picker”?
The dialog to open or save a file.
:shock: The problem is, the KDE-dialogues doesn't work properly in the new OOo. So I have to de-install the KDE-integration. And after that I can't use the KDE-dialogues any more and have to use the OOo-dialogues, which I didn't like? Sorry, but that's absurd :roll: .
August 2010: using Open Office org 3.2.0 - Kubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) - KDE 4.4.2
RGB

Post by RGB »

A-ZELLER wrote: :shock: The problem is, the KDE-dialogues doesn't work properly in the new OOo. So I have to de-install the KDE-integration. And after that I can't use the KDE-dialogues any more and have to use the OOo-dialogues, which I didn't like? Sorry, but that's absurd :roll: .
OOo is a GTK app while kde is Qt, they are two completely different worlds, why do you think it is absurd if you cannot use a kde component inside a GTK app?
OOo's Kde4 integration is a work in progress, and as such is still "experimental": that's why on vanilla OOo it is not enabled.
As Hagar said, search for something like OpenOffice_org-kde4 and unistall it.
If you delete the libraries called libvclplug_kde4lx.so and libvclplug_kdelx.so and select qtcurve on kde's system settings -> Look and feel -> Look -> Style, there will be no more steps needed ;)
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice