[Solved] OOo 2.4 (Linux) Menu Bar Distorted

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
mister_lister

[Solved] OOo 2.4 (Linux) Menu Bar Distorted

Post by mister_lister »

We have an installation of OpenOffice.org 2.4 that came with the recent LinuxMint.

When I open any of the programs ("Write", "Calc", Etc.) the menu bar is distorted. It has little lines instead of of topics (eg. "Edit", "File", etc) and the menu items in the drop down list are also replaced with little lines. Sometimes if you mouse over a topic or item, the line disappears for a split second and I see the text, then it goes back to lines.

I did a forum search and did not find any topics that were similar. Any help would be appreciated, especially if you have encountered this problem and no a resolution. Thanks in advance.

(solved ... see my last post in this thread)
Last edited by mister_lister on Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 2.4.X on MS Windows Vista + Linux
acknak

Re: OOO 2.4 -(linux)- Menu Bar Distorted

Post by acknak »

Have you tried changing the option under Tools > Options > OO.org > View > User interface > Use system font... ?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
mister_lister

Post by mister_lister »

Thanks for the reply. As stated earlier the menu topics and items are not available in text they're just lines and occassionally the text appears and disapears quickly, not long enough to navigate. I can not navigate the menus because they are not in text they are just lines.

One other thing, the dialog boxes are also effected with small horizontal lines where text should be.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See here: [Solved] All menues are in greek letters.

Else, install the official version (Sun): [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

I can not navigate the menus because they are not in text they are just lines.
Oh, well duh. :oops: Sorry, I obviously didn't think that through very far.

Maybe this screen capture will help. If you can at least count menu entries, you should be able to navigate to the right option.

If that doesn't work, it seems that the setting is saved in the .openoffice.org/3/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xcu file, in this unlikely structure:
  • <node oor:name="Accessibility">
      <prop oor:name="IsSystemFont" oor:type="xs:boolean">
       <value>true</value>
      </prop>
     </node>
Just use a text editor to change the "true" to "false" and OOo should use its built-in menu font.
Attachments
menu_font.png
mister_lister

Post by mister_lister »

OK>>> FIXED IT!

The last post about system font was almost correct, it wasn't that but in the same area of options>view. It was the anti aliasing check box below the system font, that had to be UNchecked and then the menus came up as text.

Thanks for the assist. I will mark this thread as solved.
acknak

Re: OOO 2.4 -(linux)- Menu Bar Distorted (solved)

Post by acknak »

Interesting--good catch!

Thanks for the follow-up.