[Solved] Openoffice 3.0 upgrading problem, eternal recovery

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
boinker

[Solved] Openoffice 3.0 upgrading problem, eternal recovery

Post by boinker »

Hi guys.

Three days ago, I've updated Openoffice 3.0 in Ubuntu 8.10, and now I can't open any document, created or blank, nothing to do...

I've this repositories:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ubuntu intrepid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ubuntu intrepid main

Reading the forums, I've tried to delete Recovery.xcu in ~/.openoffice.org/3/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office$ but didn't solve the problem.

Current version I've is 1:3.0.0-6ubuntu0intrepid1

I need Openoffice today for work :-(, anyone can help me?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by boinker on Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Openoffice 3.0 upgrading problem, eternal recovery screen

Post by Villeroy »

3.0.0-6ubuntu0intrepid1
Is this a backport released by the Ubuntu folks? If you need OOo so urgently, just install the official verion 2.4.1 of your distribution and everything should be fine. There are no indispensible new features in version 3.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
boinker

Post by boinker »

Is this a backport released by the Ubuntu folks? If you need OOo so urgently, just install the official verion 2.4.1 of your distribution and everything should be fine. There are no indispensible new features in version 3.
Thank you for your fast response :-)

It isn't the Ubuntu release, but I need version 3, so I can open some new Microsoft Office documents people send me :-(

I work -today I'll must work too- with that documents, and Openoffice 2.4 opens a blank document...

Any other idea? Thanks again!
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

OpenOffice.org (at least the original by Sun) can read those pesky file formats called Office "Open" XML, stolen and adulterated from OpenOffice.org's truely open XML formats.
For colaboration you need to convert them to the old binary MS formats anyway (.doc, .xls).
http://zamzar.com provides a service to convert that crap into many usable document formats, such as ODF.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

To install OOo 3.0, see here: [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co. Delete your OOo user profile (see [Tutorial] The OOo user profile) and don't import your personal data when asked by the welcome process.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
boinker

Post by boinker »

Thank you very much, guys! :-)

I remove all openoffice.org packages, remove my profile, download deb version from www.openoffice.org, and all right with this version.

Thanks again!
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x