Installing OO 3 on Fedora 10

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
marka01

Installing OO 3 on Fedora 10

Post by marka01 »

Hello. I'm new to linux. Have Fedora 10 and don't know how to install OpenOffice 3. Downloaded OOo_3.0.0_LinuxIntel_install_wJRE_en-US.tar.gz file with rpm files in RPMS folder...what should I do next to install OO 3 ? In applications->office I don't see any office so I quess no previous office is installed :roll:
OOo 2.3.X on Fedora 9
acknak

Re: Installing OO 3 on Fedora 10

Post by acknak »

Fedora provides their own OpenOffice pacakges. If you're new to Linux, then I suggest that you use Fedora's packages--they're easier to install (although the OO.org packages you downloaded are not terribly difficult either).

To install the Fedora packages, use the desktop software package manager (it's in the menus, under System > Administration > Add/Remove Software on my F9 system).
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
marka01

Post by marka01 »

I've tried that Add/Remove but when I write openoffice there are so many packages that I don't know which ones to install to have word,excel,power point.. in the openoffice.org page I've dowloaded a package for fedora in RPM packages so it must be suitable but I don't know how to install :)
OOo 2.3.X on Fedora 9
acknak

Post by acknak »

... when I write openoffice there are so many packages that I don't know which ones to install...
Yes, that's a problem with the way OOo is packaged for Linux. Even the "single" file you downloaded is just a bundle of 49 separate packages that have to be installed.

I would just select all the packages with names that start with "openoffice.org" and ask the package manager to install them. The package manager will make sure that any other packages needed are also installed.

You only need the "langpack" packages for the languages you need to work with; you can skip all of them if you only need English.

One good thing about doing it this way is that you'll also get automatic updates through Fedora, which you won't get from OO.org.

The only down side is that the Fedora builds of OOo have actually removed a few specific features. Unless you know that you really need those features, I'd stick with the Fedora stuff until you feel you're ready to take on some command-line work.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
marka01

Post by marka01 »

thanks a lot for useful info
OOo 2.3.X on Fedora 9
beren

Post by beren »

I downloaded the OO3 binaries and installed them with no problem on Fedora 10. I found that I had to do the install from a terminal window after switching to the root account. Using the GUI installer when logged in as a regular user does not work.

From a terminal window go to where you extracted the download - there should be a setup program there. At the terminal window type "su root" and then enter your root password. Then type "./setup" and you should be good to go.

beren
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora other + Win XP
biogrrl

Post by biogrrl »

Brilliant, thanks Beren. Very happy to find this tidbit that helped me avoid some late night hair pulling :D

cheers,
Biogrrl
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora other + Windows XP Pro, Ubuntu