Slow OLE Objects

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
enertegus

Slow OLE Objects

Post by enertegus »

Hi,
I'm facing the following problems with OOo 2.4.1 (German)
I have an writer doc with OLE Objects. If I open it, the scrolling and viewing is fast and ok. If I click on one of the OLE Object for one time and go out of the OLE Object, suddenly scrolling takes at least 20 times than before. If I save or reopen the document, everything is ok and fast again. If I click on "page view" (German: Seitenansicht] and go back to my printing layout also the scrolling is fast again.

I didnot observe this under windows (always fast), but with 10 different machines and grafic cards, same is for using the distribution packages or even with staroffice8. I really tried a lot, but found no solution.

Do you have any hint?
OOo 2.4.X on openSuse 10 + Windows
acknak

Re: Slow OLE Objects

Post by acknak »

There are lots of strange problems with OLE objects. Can you create a simple document that demonstrates the problem? If so, attach it here and see if anyone else can reproduce the problem. If others also see the slow scrolling, then it would be good to report it as a bug.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
enertegus

Post by enertegus »

Hi,
I've attached such a dokument.
Just open it and scroll. Reasonable fast. Then click on Equation (1) or the picture, afterwards and watch the _low_ scroll speed (e.g. using the mouse).
Don't mind the German text.

Thanks in advance.
Michael
Attachments
test.odt
Just a testfile
(116.67 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
acknak

Post by acknak »

Interesting, I see it too. The same thing happens if I open the document in OOo 2.4.

I don't know how it could be missed, but I can't find any issue filed for slow scrolling like this.

It seems to be more connected with the drawing than the formulas: if I delete the drawing object, then selecting a formula doesn't seem to change the scrolling that much. Scrolling performance in OOo is pretty bad in general.

Also, if I copy equation 1 to another document, it seems to slow it down a little, but not terribly.

It's a little hard to tell because your document is short, but the scrolling slowdown seems to be specific to scrolling the page where the drawing is.

Since you have a simple test case, it's probably worth reporting: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions
Reidster

Post by Reidster »

Turn off the "Smooth Scrolling" option. Everything will speed right up.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
enertegus

Post by enertegus »

Hi,
smooth scrolling is deactivated, but this doesnot solve the problem. Actually this was my first guess, too.

Michael
enertegus

Post by enertegus »

Hi,
I've reported the bug.
See Issue 95802
acknak

Post by acknak »

Thanks for filing the report, and for letting us know about it.

Here's a direct link: Issue 95802: Slow scrolling across OLE Objects (only Linux)