acknak

Re: sftp file>save eratic after install of v3

Post by acknak »

Nice--thanks for the link.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
netmastr

Re: sftp file>save eratic after install of v3

Post by netmastr »

I just installed fedora 10 on local machine #1. It sports OO.o3 out of the box and looks great. The openoffice issue is exactly the same on this machine when connecting to the romote machines using sftp as described in earlier posts in this thread. I didn't really expect different :? . I hope against hope that the issue will be solved soon.
netmastr

"Leadership is action, not position."
Donald H. McGannon
Be a leader.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + Windows XP
netmastr

Re: [Issue] sftp file>save eratic after install of v3

Post by netmastr »

This is an update.

Up to today, I was able to save a file by clicking save and then clicking OK on the error pop-up that appeared then immediately clicking save again, the document would always save on the second attempt. This has been a workaround since I originally posted this thread. My fedora 10 was updated today including a kernel update and now this work-around is broken. The only way to save a document now from within openoffice on an sftp mounted file system I have to rename the file to save it using file>save as. This now complicates things because of different versions of the same file.
netmastr

Donald H. McGannon
Be a leader.
netmastr

Post by netmastr »

Update:

Discovered a new behavior related to this thread yesterday. When I opened a file from within openoffice that is on a device mounted via sftp by using file>open, it opens read/write and save is possible without the usual error popup. This is a new workaround from the last post. I haven't tried it on other workstations yet but it works consistently on the workstation where I do most of my file editing in write and calc. The errors from the previous post would occur when I opened the file by double clicking from nautilus file manager.
netmastr

Donald H. McGannon
Be a leader.
netmastr

Post by netmastr »

Update:

My other Linux 10 computer workstation works the same way as the last post. It will open a file on an sftp mounted file system in read/write and save without difficulty.
netmastr

Post by netmastr »

Update

Well, I have been editing along nicely and something happened the other day and I'm not sure what caused it. I did reset one of my remote linux machines that I have been attaching to using sftp and now I can't edit files on the attached file system from my main computer that I sit at. Not even using the work around described above. The file comes up read only now instead of read/write.
netmastr

Donald H. McGannon
Be a leader.
netmastr

Post by netmastr »

Does anybody know how I would research a problem with sftp? Is there a project group for that? Possible link? Does the sftp that is used in nautilus come from the openssh project? Or some other project. I'm beginning to think that the problem is not openoffice but rather how linux implements sftp.

I used to be able to make sub directories in an sftp connected remote file system in nautilus. Now even with proper rights I can no longer do this.
netmastr

Donald H. McGannon
Be a leader.
netmastr

Post by netmastr »

Update:

Yet another workaround. Since I was having trouble mounting the remote file system using the mount function from within Nautilus, I tried downloading the sftp command line mount program and installing it. When I got it to work and mounted the remote file system from the command prompt I am now able to use the files on the remote machine read/write and open the files from within Nautilus by double clicking. I have since added the sftp mount command to my user login script. So this leads me to believe that there may be issues with the gvfs used from within Nautilus?
netmastr

Post by netmastr »

Update:

I have installed Fedora 11 on my most used workstation. I am able to use the mount feature in Nautilus to mount the remote file system using ssh (sftp via gvfs) and edit files by double clicking the file from within Nautilus which opens openoffice and the file is read/write. I was able to save the file without incident. :bravo: I am going to leave this issue unsolved at the moment to see what happens as I continue to use the new OS. The remote file system is still using an older version of fedora.