JRE defective

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Burt

JRE defective

Post by Burt »

I am using Open Office 3.3. Java Run time Environment is defective. Select another version or install a new JRE. I tried to fix the JRE. I tried to install a new version and still receive the (JRE is defective). Any ideas, would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Burt
OOo 2.4.X on MS Windows Vista
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: JRE defective

Post by Villeroy »

If yesterday's answer is good enough: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 23#p246660
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
johnoo

Post by johnoo »

Not wishing to hijack this posting, but does this mean that "Base" which uses JRE does not function on 3.4.1?
I also keep getting the JRE defective message on version 3.3 & I thought 3.4.1 might cure this.
Has Burt tried loading version 6 of JRE which I think works with OO 3.3
Hope I'm not confusing the issue
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

There have been posts to the effect that 3.3 recognises only jre 1.6. Even that it will not use a version later that 1.6_33. Try a forum search (tiresome I know) for 3.4 or 3.4.1. I'm not making the move yet so I have paid little attention to posts on that topic.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
johnoo

Post by johnoo »

I have Java 6.33 set up but the latest type 6 version is 6.35.
Question, If I get Java Defective message again will OO Base work with 6.35?
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
ChrisKraus

Post by ChrisKraus »

I am having the issue with Base with OO 3.4.1 on Vista.
I got the defective error with Java 7.7, so I installed 6.35.
Now, using Java 6.35, I get the error:

Code: Select all

SQL Status: S1000
Error code: -40
General error: org.hsqldb.lib.FileSystemRuntimeException: java.io.IOException: C:/AOO/sources/aoo340SVN/main/package/source/xstor/xstorage.cxx:<unknown>:3177;
Need help, I am a heavy OO Base User.
Thanks
Chris
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows Vista
johnoo

Post by johnoo »

Still no answer as to will Base work with Java 6.35.
But a post that says they have problem with Base & Java 6.35
c
Can anyone point me in direction of how to download Java 6.33 which I know works with Base?
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
DACM
Volunteer

Post by DACM »

Not sure why you-re getting the errors with Java 6.xx but here's the link to all 32-bit version 6 downloads for Windows:
http://www-web02.filehippo.com/download_jre_32/12538/

Make sure AOO/LibO is using the selected version by going to: Tools > Options > Java.
After selecting an installed 32-bit version, shutdown *Office and the Quickstarter icon in the Windows Taskbar; or reboot.
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria
johnoo

Post by johnoo »

DACM, Thank you but this only gives downloads for update 35 in the 6 version.
Will BASE work with this?
Or does anybody know where version 6.33 can be downloaded from?
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
DACM
Volunteer

Post by DACM »

johnoo wrote:Thank you but this only gives downloads for update 35 in the 6 version.
It seems the link above goes directly to a download page for 6.33...?
...Make sure you're clicking on "Download This Version."

Also notice the "View more..." option. ;)
Attachments
Java 1.6.0.33.jpg
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Sunday, September 09, 2012

Java 6 releases are found here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 19409.html

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
johnoo

Post by johnoo »

Thanks for the help in supplying download sites for Java 6.33

I would still be interested to know if BASE works with version 6.35
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
raygun

Post by raygun »

Oracle Security Alert for CVE-2012-4681
This Security Alert addresses security issues CVE-2012-4681 (US-CERT Alert TA12-240A and Vulnerability Note VU#636312) and two other vulnerabilities affecting Java running in web browsers on desktops. These vulnerabilities are not applicable to Java running on servers or standalone Java desktop applications. They also do not affect Oracle server-based software.

Affected product releases and versions:

JDK and JRE 7 Update 6 and before
JDK and JRE 6 Update 34 and before

Patch availability: JRE 7 u7, JRE 6 u35
If you're using one of the vulnerable versions of JRE it is highly suggested to disable the Java browser plug-in. Otherwise install a secure version of the JRE as the browser plug-in and install a version of JRE in an alternate location for use by AOO. Ensure that the browser Java plug-in is the secure version, and configure AOO to use v1.6 in options.
OpenOffice v3.4.1 _ Windows Server 2003 R2 _ JRE 7u7
johnoo

Post by johnoo »

Thanks, but still does not answer the question as to if BASE works with version 6.35
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Why don't you just try since you can have different JRE in parallel on a same system and set the one you want to use in AOO?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
johnoo

Post by johnoo »

I don't want to "just try" as I only get random failures of Base not working because JRE 6.33 becomes defective.
If I changed to 6.35 I could get just random failures or no Base at all.
Seems to me that the approach of "just try" is not the most effective way to run a system.
Is there anybody who has had experiance of running Base 3.3 or 3.4.1 using JRE 6.35?
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

johnoo wrote:I don't want to "just try" as I only get random failures of Base not working because JRE 6.33 becomes defective.
If I changed to 6.35 I could get just random failures or no Base at all.
Seems to me that the approach of "just try" is not the most effective way to run a system.
Is there anybody who has had experiance of running Base 3.3 or 3.4.1 using JRE 6.35?
Experience comes from "just trying".
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'm not aware of 6.33 "becoming defective"; if there are random failures, these may be due to a bad OpenOffice User Profile or a faulty install of OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
johnoo

Post by johnoo »

Think you will find, even on his post, instances of JRE going defective & having to be reinstalled to get Base to function.
As said I have had this roblem, have reset User Profile, but still get instances of ramdom failure.
But aslo, does Base work with JRE 6.35?
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
FrustratedFred

Post by FrustratedFred »

Really, This should be fixed. Forcing (possibly quite naive users) to install a completely insecure Java version to run this product is crazy. I too have been a heavy base user in the past, but until a solution to having to use an insecure Java install to run the product is released, I think I will find an alternative that doesn't have this issue.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with both jre-7u7-windows-i586 AND jre-7u7-windows-x64 installed
johnoo

Post by johnoo »

FrustratedFred wrote:Really, This should be fixed. Forcing (possibly quite naive users) to install a completely insecure Java version to run this product is crazy. I too have been a heavy base user in the past, but until a solution to having to use an insecure Java install to run the product is released, I think I will find an alternative that doesn't have this issue.
Frustrated,
Have you experianced JRE defective problems with Java 6.33 or 6.35?
Also ,why is it not secure?
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
FrustratedFred

Post by FrustratedFred »

I have not experienced Any problems with any open office products other than the annoying default template thing until I built this new computer, and installed everything with it's latest versions. On my old XP box I have Java 6.35 and OO 3.4.0 and still have no issues at all with Base. Because I blocked Java from my browser in XP I never bothered updating beyond what I had installed. Not a very powerful computer, didn't need the functionality.

As for the older versions being insecure see here: https://blogs.oracle.com/security/entry ... _cve_20121
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with both jre-7u7-windows-i586 AND jre-7u7-windows-x64 installed
raygun

Post by raygun »

I couldn't get AOO 3.4.1 to recognize JRE 6u35 in AOO options. Presently I'm trying to get JRE 1.6 u34 installed and configured.

W/respect to security: JRE 7u6 or less and JRE 6u34 or less are seriously compromised. The flaw is cross platform, i.e., Windows, Mac and Linux. It has been incorporated into well known hack tools, e.g., Metasploit and Blackhole. You do NOT want your browser implementing an usecure version of JRE. If your platform can not implement parallel JRE's and you only need JRE for standalone Java apps, e.g., AOO, then the Java browser plug-in absolutely should be disabled. The Java browser plug-in security breach is hideous. I'll post a link later on what it does; succinctly its a drive-by download of a rootkit.
ChrisKraus

Post by ChrisKraus »

I'm Curious: Is there some sort of documentation / known issue about why OO doesn't seem to be working with Java 7U7?
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows Vista
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

I don't use Base. My issue with AOO and Java is that the Find function of the AOO Help doesn't work without Java and also complains that a Java 7 version is defective. Again, I don't know about Base. The Help Find does work with Java V6 U35. It appears that that one doesn't have the known security issue, so I'll probably just use that for now.

I've switched back and forth between AOO and LibreOffice depending on the issue of the moment. LibreOffice Help doesn't seem to require Java of any version, but I slightly prefer the look and feel of AOO and will stick with it and Java V6 U35 for now, but will probably consider switching to LibreOffice again at some point if this AOO/Java 7 issue doesn't get resolved.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
raygun

Post by raygun »

Wow.

JRE 1.6 u35 wasn't detected by AOO 3.4.1 on my Win2003 R2 system.

When I tried to add JRE 1.6 u35 manually: JRE defective was rendered.

Once I installed JRE 1.6 u34 to an alternate location (JRE 7 u7 being the browser default plug-in), AOO 3.4.1 detected JRE 1.6 u34 and allowed me to click the radio button (the radio button being previously selected being JRE 7 u7).

After doing that all the Wizards all seem to work.

:crazy:
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I don't have a problem with the latest JRE updates. Both Find in Help and Wizards work in AOO 3.4.1 on 32-bit Vista using either JRE 6u35 or JRE 7u7. I don't use Base.
johnoo

Post by johnoo »

Bill wrote:I don't have a problem with the latest JRE updates. Both Find in Help and Wizards work in AOO 3.4.1 on 32-bit Vista using either JRE 6u35 or JRE 7u7. I don't use Base.
As far as I am aware, the JRE defective problem only occurs on BASE application.
Also, as far as I am aware, BASE only works with version 6 of JRE
If I am incorrect on these statements perhaps somebody can correct me
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

johnoo wrote:
Bill wrote:I don't have a problem with the latest JRE updates. Both Find in Help and Wizards work in AOO 3.4.1 on 32-bit Vista using either JRE 6u35 or JRE 7u7. I don't use Base.
As far as I am aware, the JRE defective problem only occurs on BASE application.
Also, as far as I am aware, BASE only works with version 6 of JRE
If I am incorrect on these statements perhaps somebody can correct me
I haven't seen any indication that the JRE defective problem only affects Base. I tried using a Wizard in AOO 3.4.1 on 64-bit Windows 8 RP and got the JRE defective error.

This bug report for LibreOffice indicates that the error occurs because the msvcr100.dll file can't be found when using the JRE. Process Monitor confirmed that Windows 8 was looking unsuccessfully for msvcr100.dll when trying to use a Wizard in AOO 3.4.1.

On my Vista system, the msvcr100.dll file is in System32, which explains why the Wizards worked in Vista. On Windows 8, I installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable which installs the msvcr100.dll file. After that installation, the JRE Defective error no longer appeared when using a Wizard in AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 8.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Well, I have the Help problem on 64-bit Windows 7. After reading some of the above, I think I tried 32-bit versions of both JRE 6u35 or JRE 7u7 and had them both reported as defective.

Maybe the difference is having a 64-bit system vs. a 32-bit system. I certainly don't know.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP