[Solved] OOo-Dev300m2: File types not associated

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
TheAmigo

[Solved] OOo-Dev300m2: File types not associated

Post by TheAmigo »

I've installed OOo-Dev300m2 on both a WinXP machine and a Vista machine. In both cases, no file types were associated with Open Office.

On Vista, I can manually assign them, but on WinXP, I can't. Double-clicking an ODT (or any other OOo file), Windows asks with which program to open the file. I can browse through the filesystem and choose any .exe I want, but not any of the OOo binaries. When I click the browse button and select c:\program files\OOo-dev 3\program\swriter.exe, I'm back at the Open With dialog and Writer is still not there.

I suspected my WinXP of being messed up, so I did a test: the Windows Calculator was not in the list either. I clicked browse, found calc.exe and that worked... Calculator is now in the list of apps I can choose to open files with. This doesn't help me at all, but it does tell me there's something about scalc.exe, swriter.exe, etc that Windows doesn't like.

Anyone else see the same problems? Is this a known bug in m2?
Last edited by TheAmigo on Thu May 08, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
froggi

Re: OOo-Dev300m2: File types not associated

Post by froggi »

I just upgraded to OOo_2.4.0_Win32Intel_install_wJRE_en-US and have the same problem with Vista. I try to associate but the program won't show after it's selected. The association did work on the MS Office files so for now I am changing my file extensions to Office ones so I can open them....
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

Dev300m2? That is really old. Do you mean BEA300-m2? That is the beta. The beta intentionally does not register any file associations because it is unsafe for general use.

There was a similar discussion about manually registering file associations on Windows. IIRC, the person had to use a different .exe. Did you try soffice.exe?
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
froggi

Post by froggi »

AndrewZ wrote:There was a similar discussion about manually registering file associations on Windows. IIRC, the person had to use a different .exe. Did you try soffice.exe?
That may not have solved the OP's problem but it fixed mine. Thank you!
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

AndrewZ wrote:There was a similar discussion about manually registering file associations on Windows. IIRC, the person had to use a different .exe. Did you try soffice.exe?
-> [Solvedish] OOo 3 dev beta WinXP. file association problem.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
TheAmigo

Post by TheAmigo »

Yes, AndrewZ, I meant BEA300-m2... guess I got confused by all the icons being named OOo-Dev 3. It's helpful to know that not registering file associations is intentional.

However, my main problem remains: I'm unable to manually associate file types with the BEA300m2 binaries. I tried associating files with soffice.exe, but had the same non-result as the other binaries.

I've had 3.0m2 hang enough (e.g. my Vista machine can't run Writer and save a blank document) that I'm going back to 2.4 so I can get work done. I'll wait until the next beta and try it again.
TheAmigo

Post by TheAmigo »

Correction: Thanks Hagar, that other thread did help once I read the whole thing... associating with simpress.exe does work.