Apache OpenOffice 3.4 upgrade grabbed my files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
AzFred

Apache OpenOffice 3.4 upgrade grabbed my files

Post by AzFred »

I will remove this post if someone can help me repair damaged files resulting from downloading Open Office 3.4 to upgrade 3.3.

Open office GRABBED ALL my publisher and word files that contan graphics and installed visible margin lines around every object. Totally unacceptable!!!

I uninstalled Open Office and my graphic files went with the program. MORE UNACCEPTABLE!

3.3 performed as ecpected and without problems.

Be very vwery careful with this release.

Make me remove this post with a solution, PLEASE.
OpenOffice 3.4 on Windows XP
acknak

Re: Apache OpenOffice 3.4 upgrade grabbed my files

Post by acknak »

I split this off to a new topic to keep the discussion separate.

First, don't panic. Installing (or uninstalling) OOo never changes any of your document or graphic files; it may change your system's configuration. Your files may show different icons but they have not been damaged or changed.

I don't run Windows so I won't tell you what to do. You can try a search here--this misunderstanding comes up a lot--or I expect someone will give you some specific steps to take, or a link to the proper steps from a previous discussion.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

AzFred wrote:I will remove this post if someone can help me repair damaged files resulting from downloading Open Office 3.4 to upgrade 3.3.

Open office GRABBED ALL my publisher and word files that contan graphics and installed visible margin lines around every object. Totally unacceptable!!!

I uninstalled Open Office and my graphic files went with the program. MORE UNACCEPTABLE!

3.3 performed as ecpected and without problems.

Be very vwery careful with this release.

Make me remove this post with a solution, PLEASE.
No need to remove the post, even if it's solved, other user could have the same problem.

What do you mean by add a visible margin line?
Can you upload a screenshot (see How to attach a document here)?

If you view the file in Print preview, do you see them?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Downloading, installing or uninstalling a program (including AOO 3.4) in Windows does not modify or remove any user files.

If OOo 3.3 was the default program for opening a particular file format, then AOO 3.4 should become the default program when it is installed. That is the expected behavior.

Without seeing an example, I don't know what a "visible margine line" actually is. A picture with a caption should have a non-printing boundary line in both OOo 3.3 and AOO 3.4. A line around a picture could also be a border which does print, but I see no borders being added when using AOO 3.4.