[Solved] How to stop auto loading of AOO on startup?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Neshobe

[Solved] How to stop auto loading of AOO on startup?

Post by Neshobe »

Since downloading 3.4 (something I now regret), Open Office autoloads on startup of my machine (Win7). Can anyone tell me how to prevent this?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Apache Open Office 3.4
Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: How to stop auto loading of OO on startup?

Post by RoryOF »

/Tools /Options /OpenOffice.org : Memory and uncheck Enable Systray Quickstarter. Now restart your computer to be sure it has taken.
If you had searched the Forum using search window at top right of Forum screen you would have found many threads on this topic.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Neshobe

Post by Neshobe »

Thank you. That should speed startup considerably. Sadly, very non-intuitive. One would think that command would be under "General", instead of being stuck at the bottom of undo steps. Odd also that it is the default in 3.4.
Apache Open Office 3.4
Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It was overlooked in the attempt to get the new version (AOO 3.4) released. It will be fixed in AOO 3.4.1, targetted for the end of July.
rivercritter

Re: [Solved] How to stop auto loading of AOO on startup?

Post by rivercritter »

For some odd reason I downloaded the Apache version of OO.org, having already had it in 3.4. Despite your instructions I could not fix this flaw, so I trashed it altogether. So sorry.

Hope you can solve this glitch entirely, Apache warriors. Thanks for taking it over for us longtime users.
OpenOffice 3.4 on Windows Vista
chemsherm

Post by chemsherm »

For those of you still fighting with this problem as I was, I believe I might have the solution. Go to your "C" drive and open it. Open the "Program Files" folder, and go to the "OpenOffice" folder and open it. Open the "Program" folder. Inside this folder locate the file "Quickstarter .exe" and trash it. I found this file by accident and first tried trashing it and have no longer had any problems with the annoying startups. I have noticed no other effects of trashing this file. I hope this helps. :bravo:
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

chemsherm wrote:For those of you still fighting with this problem as I was, I believe I might have the solution. Go to your "C" drive and open it. Open the "Program Files" folder, and go to the "OpenOffice" folder and open it. Open the "Program" folder. Inside this folder locate the file "Quickstarter .exe" and trash it. I found this file by accident and first tried trashing it and have no longer had any problems with the annoying startups. I have noticed no other effects of trashing this file. I hope this helps. :bravo:
Did you try the recommended method of disabling the "Load OpenOffice.org during system start-up" option in the AOO Options or deleting the OpenOffice.org shortcut from the Starup folder on the Start Menu? Either of these methods work for me.
goodsonsk

Post by goodsonsk »

How do I stop AOO from starting up automatically every time I turn my computer on? I never had this problem until I updated to 3.4. I'm already regretting this move. I tried the solution suggested by RoryOF on June 26. I opened Tools and went to Options. No OpenOffice.org listed. I need to turn the auto load off now. It's causing my computer to take 15 minutes to completely load up. Before I updated, it took less than 3 minutes. Completely unacceptable.
OpenOffice 3.4 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Here is a screenshot
OpenOffice options.png
If your computer is taking three/fifteen minutes to boot up, it is _very_ sick.
goodsonsk

Post by goodsonsk »

It's not sick. I thought of that possibility before I posted my question so, I did a complete virus scan overnight. No viruses. Thank you for providing the screenshot but, I need to know how to get to that option. As stated in my previous post, when I open Tools and click on Options, OpenOffice.org is not listed.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Start OpenOffice. From the Splash screen (the screen you don't like!) menu bar click Tools, and select Options off that menu and you should get the screen I uploaded.
goodsonsk

Post by goodsonsk »

Okay. When previous posts mentioned Tools and Options, I went to the ones on my toolbar since that's where all the start up options usually are. Thanks for the help. :) BTW..It's not that I don't like the Splash screen, I just prefer it to come up when I select it. I go to it at least once a day to use the spreadsheets I created.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It was only a joke to help you identify it!