[Solved] Upgraded to AOO 3.4 - Java JRE not found any more

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
druegeme

Post by druegeme »

Hi,

first post here, sorry upfront if this is due to user stupidity, but I've tried for a while, also tried to find solution in wiki and googling, no avail. So I would highly appreciate any help on this!

Having used ooo and base for a while (on Win 7 64bit), I recently updated ooo to the 3.4 version.

Now when trying to open a table in Base, I get this error message:

'The OpenOffice.org configuration has been changed. Under Tools - Options - OpenOffice.Org - Java, select the Java runtime environment you want to use..'.

Then, after clicking 'OK', another error pops up:

'The connection to the data source "New Database" could not be established. No Java installation could be found. Please check your installation.'

So when I go to the tools/options/Java, I see entries for the Java versions I have installed (1.7.0_05 and 1.6.0_33) with an empty checkmark to the left.

I can check either of the entries, click 'OK' and close the window.

However, the problem persists (no Java installation found), and when I go back to the same menu tools/options/Java, I see both Java versions de-selected again. None selected.

I have tried several things:
-uninstalling all Java, and installing only one
-tried both Java 1.7 and 1.6 in both 32 and 64 bit versions
- uninstalled and re-installed ooo completely
- set class path to jre directory (e.g. c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7)

Apologies for the long post.. would appreciate any help!

Thanks
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OOo 3.4 Win7 64bit
RoryOF

Re: upgraded to OOo 3.4 Base - Java JRE not found any more

Post by RoryOF »

Try setting the Java 1.6 version, 32 bit, then exit OpenOffice and its quickstarter. Now start OpenOffice again. Usualy the easiest way is to shut down computer, poeroff, then on again after a short pause.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
druegeme

Post by druegeme »

thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it did not help.

I should have mentioned that I also had tried rebooting (after re-installing ooo and jre).

The issue seems to be that the JRE selection under options/Java doesn't stick. I can select the Java version per radio button, but when I exit just the menu and come back to it it is de-selected again.
OOo 3.4 Win7 64bit
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try to reset your OpenOffice user profile.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
druegeme

Re: Upgraded to AOO 3.4 Base - Java JRE not found any more

Post by druegeme »

sorry that didn't do it either, but thanks for the reply.

I'm starting to wonder if the OOo 3.4 Base is actually compatible with the JRE versions I have installed (1.7.0_05 and 1.6.0_33; these are the official latest ones available from Sun as of this date).

As mentioned, while I can select them, it doesn't seem to 'stick' ie it doesnt show as selected when I open the dialog next time. And I think ooo would detect and select a compatible version automatically.

So I've read the release notes but have not found anything relating to compatible JRE versions.

Anyone know?

Thanks!!!
OOo 3.4 Win7 64bit
lgusaas
Volunteer

Re: Upgraded to AOO 3.4 Base - Java JRE not found any more

Post by lgusaas »

druegeme wrote:I'm starting to wonder if the OOo 3.4 Base is actually compatible with the JRE versions I have installed (1.7.0_05 and 1.6.0_33; these are the official latest ones available from Sun as of this date).
Use 1.6.0_33 (32 bit)
As mentioned, while I can select them, it doesn't seem to 'stick' ie it doesnt show as selected when I open the dialog next time. And I think ooo would detect and select a compatible version automatically.
You need to quit AOO after selecting the Java version and then restart it, otherwise Java isn't recognized and the selection isn't remembered.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
druegeme

Re: Upgraded to OOo 3.4 Base - Java JRE not found any more

Post by druegeme »

ok...

so I started Base, went to Tools/options/Java, selected 1.6.0_033, and quit the program

Also killed processes soffice.bin, and soffice.exe

Then re-started Base... and... after clicking on 'Tables' same error again:

"The OpenOffice.org configuration has been changed. Under Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org - Jave, select the JRE you want to have used.."

and "No Java installation could be found"

I wonder if it is a version issue. On another PC I run JRE 1.6.0_24 with Base 3.4 and it works perfectly. I'll try to find an old JRE version and give that a shot.
OOo 3.4 Win7 64bit
druegeme

Post by druegeme »

well that didn't help either.. I'm at a loss!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
OOo 3.4 Win7 64bit
druegeme

Post by druegeme »

Success!

I tried the nuclear user profile reset method again (rename user directory) and that did it.

Thanks to Hagar Delest.
OOo 3.4 Win7 64bit
jfehribach

Re: [Solved] Upgraded to AOO 3.4 - Java JRE not found any mo

Post by jfehribach »

Got it to work. "nuke" method required me to use Windows task manager to kill running soffice process before Windows would allow me to rename the folder.
OpenOffice 3.4 on Win7
ute_arbeit

Post by ute_arbeit »

I was ready for nuking my user folder because I had tried everything else without success and went to http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... 403#p58403.

There I found one hint:
Still not fixed: a dev seems to have recently found the root cause: close OpenOffice (including the Quickstarter) and in the user profile, go to the folder /user/extensions/bundled/. Rename the files extensions.pmap and extensions.db (if they do exist). Restart OpenOffice and see if there is any improvement.
This tip made it for me. In my existing user profile I found extensions.pmap in /user/extensions/bak/ and /user/extensions/tmp/. I renamed both and after restarting OO the JRE was found. Ugh!
OpenOffice 4.0 on Windows XP SP3