[Solved] JRE Defective

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
johnoo

[Solved] JRE Defective

Post by johnoo »

I can't open any of my Base files, because I get message "JRE is Defective", then message "No Java Connection Found"
If I go into Tools/Options/Java I find that JAVA is installed, latest version 1.6.0.31.
I then delete the current JAVA installation & reinstall.
I can now get into the Base files.

THis problem has occured before & I have been advised to reset my Profile but I am not confident enough to do this!

Has anybody got any other ideas as to what is causing the problem?
If I reinstall Java all is OK, but why does it keep going defective?
Last edited by johnoo on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
FJCC

Re: JRE Defective

Post by FJCC »

I really encourage you to reset your user profile. If you haven't customized your installation, resetting your profile will have no effect other than possibly fixing your problem. Just change the name of the User folder (don't delete it).
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
johnoo

Post by johnoo »

Would it be possible that you colud give very simple (flowchart words) procedure.
The Post of instructions of how to reset given last time seemed so complicated.
Thanks
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

You have to tell OOo that you want to use Java (tick the check box), then tell it what version you want to use, even if there's only one (tick radio button).
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Open any folder and select the menu Tools -> Folder Options. Click on the View tab and select Show Hidden Files and Folders. Click the Apply to All Folders button and then OK. Go to the folder
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3
where username is your user name on the computer. You will see a folder named user. Right click on that folder, select Rename and edit the folder name to be user_old. Close OpenOffice, including the quickstarter if you use that. If in doubt about the quickstarter, just reboot your computer. When you restart OpenOffice you should get a welcome screen. If you get an option to import previous settings (this happens if you previously had another major version of OpenOffice) decline the offer. That is it.
If you need to reverse this process, go back to the folder that contains the user folder, change the name of any existing user folder and rename user_old to user.

Edit: Just saw Floris V's post. I should have thought of the possibility that Java isn't activated. If that doesn't work, try the above.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
johnoo

Post by johnoo »

Thanks, sorry to be a pain, but the situation is this
1 Have reinstalled Java & all is now OK
2 But also thought I would have a go at resetting profile.
Got as far as trying to rename "User" folder, but having put in "User_old" I get a Access denied comment & it will not let me change the name!
Any ideas on how I proceed?

3 Also can't understand the Floris remarks about Java may not be activated. I have been into Tools/Options/Java & the box "Use Java Runtime Enviroment" is checked. Does this mean this part is OK?
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

You can't change the user profile folder when OOo is open, so first close it, including the Quickstarter.
Re enabling Java, see below, if you ticked two items like below, you should be fine. If Java still doesn't work then, there's either something wrong with your user profile or the installation of OOo. So, reset the user profile and if that doesn't work, do a repair install.
Two items to tick
Two items to tick
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
johnoo

Post by johnoo »

Floris,
1 Both of the items you show on Java are checked, so I assume that this is OK

2 Re Can't change Profile when OO is open,I have not got any OO files open. Is there something else I should be doing to close it including the Quickstart?
I know this may seem stupid questions but I have to ask.
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to open the Task manager (?) and stop all soffice processes (soffice.bin and soffice.exe). After that you should be able to reset the user profile.
Nederlandstalig forum
johnoo

Post by johnoo »

Floris,
Thanks, I'm scared about this but, trying to think ahead.
After I have stopped all soffice processes & then reset User name, how do I restart Open Office?
Can I just go into Start/All Programs & click on Open Office?
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Yes, or double click the icon on your desktop. No need to be scared - it's a legitimate way to stop a program dead in its tracks.
Nederlandstalig forum
johnoo

Post by johnoo »

Well I have done it!
All seems OK
If I go to Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3 I can now see 2 folders:-
1) Named User_old
2) Named User
I assume the process of resetting profile set up number 2 User am I correct?
Also after I got the welcome screen I was not asked if I wanted to Import prevois settings, but was asked if I wanted to "Transfer Personal Data" I checked this as Yes, was I correct?
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Correct. Except that transferring the personal data may introduce flaws because of changes between the old version used to create that profile and the new structure of the files used by this new 3.3.0 version.

Better reset again the profile and start from scratch by declining the personal data transfer. But well, if it works, then keep it until you face a flaw (it may not happen).

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
johnoo

Post by johnoo »

Thank you all very much for your great assistance.
One last silly question, if I do have to repeat the exercise, can I call the current "User" Folder anything?
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

johnoo wrote:Thank you all very much for your great assistance.
One last silly question, if I do have to repeat the exercise, can I call the current "User" Folder anything?
Yes, the rename is whatever is convenient for you.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
johnoo

Post by johnoo »

Again thanks for all of the help, let's hope it does not go wrong again!
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11