[Solved] Windows installer

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
thedc6

[Solved] Windows installer

Post by thedc6 »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using? not yet downloaded
What Operating System (version) are you using?windows xp
What is your question or comment? This gateway laptop I purchased from Tigerdirect kept asking for a key code for the trial version of office 2003. I really didn't understand because on any computer I have purchased in the past must have had the full system installed rather than a trial. I called TD the tech said he did not know what was wrong and I did not need it anyway, deleted what I thought was a nuisance. Now when I come onto a document which requires this program I get a Installing office window which cant install as I deleted it and hitting cancel takes like 30 seconds to quit, that is if it does not ask over and over again. My question is...will this down load over ride this and stop it or can you tell me how to get this MS nuisance to go away
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: windows installer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Right-click on a DOC file in Windows Explorer, and chose "Open With, Choose Program." Select Wordpad as the program. Check the box that says, "Always use the select program to open this kind of file."

This may solve your immediate problem, but it sounds as if you haven't uinstalled Word 2003, just deleted the folders. Programs should be removed from Control Panel with Add/Remove programs. That should clean up Windows registration entries as well as deleting the program folder.

When you install OpenOffice, you will be given the option of associating Word, Excel and PowerPoint files with it. Answer yes, and that should solve the problem.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
thedc6

Post by thedc6 »

changed open with came back scriped. not readable. went delete progams, wont allow, want to send me to a info site for windows installer 3.1
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You should try the cleaner utility : Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Be aware that the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility will remove the program from the installer database so it no longer appears in Add/Remove Programs. It will not actually uninstall the complete program. Program files and other registry entries will remain.

To find out what the real problem is, please post any error messages. That's much more useful than a general description.
thedc6

Post by thedc6 »

1st the windows installer box with preparing to install and a cancel button. Next after15-20 seconds the off key sound that there is a problem. X This patch couldnt be opened. Verify that the patch exsists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer patch package. This happens on some of my incomming mail and then the mail wont open. I am hoping the windows installer goes away and that the open office will take over and work properly without conflict. thanks for helping
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

What patch are you talking about? Have you downloaded the .exe file and run it? You can upload screenshots here if you want (use the .png format).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

thedc6 wrote:1st the windows installer box with preparing to install and a cancel button. Next after15-20 seconds the off key sound that there is a problem. X This patch couldnt be opened. Verify that the patch exsists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer patch package. This happens on some of my incomming mail and then the mail wont open. I am hoping the windows installer goes away and that the open office will take over and work properly without conflict. thanks for helping
Are you trying to install OpenOffice.org now? You need to tell us what you are trying to do and what actions you took before the error occurred.
thedc6

Post by thedc6 »

My intentions are to install open office as soon as possible, I am unsure if the defunked window office 2003 will become a problem which i belive it will, and if so, how can i be rid of it?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

thedc6 wrote:...deleted what I thought was a nuisance.
How did you delete the nuisance?
thedc6

Post by thedc6 »

control panel add or remove it removed most every thing except it remains as a program on the panel but when you try to delete it it wants to send me to a micro soft site to buy it. Im not much of a fan of microsoft
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

thedc6 wrote:control panel add or remove it removed most every thing except it remains as a program on the panel but when you try to delete it it wants to send me to a micro soft site to buy it. Im not much of a fan of microsoft
If it has been uninstalled, but is still in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, then go ahead and use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove it from Add/Remove Programs. You should then install OOo. During the installation, check the boxes to allow OOo to open MS Office files.
thedc6

Post by thedc6 »

windows installer clean up utility? Im fair at this suff but I dont know that one
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Read Page 1 of this thread.
thedc6

Post by thedc6 »

Ok Bill I have installed the windows installer clean up and on the list I see thw microsoft office 2003, I click to "clean" it away but the warning is a bit scarry, will removing this beast have any adverse effects with thing like my outlook express ect.? I have downloaded the OOo and signed up everything should be a go but I dont want to cause a further problem with this laptop. dc
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

There are no guarantees, but I'd be more concerned about the effect that actually uninstalling Office 2003 would have rather than the effect that removing the installation database for Office 2003 would have. You've already uninstalled Office 2003. The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility only removes the installation database which removes the program from Add/Remove Programs.
thedc6

Post by thedc6 »

hear goes...I will let you know
thedc6

Post by thedc6 »

did the delete... that installer box quit and I can now spell check me outlook email. I think this is gonna work. thank alot.