[Issue] Problem with Group Policy of mapped folder

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
adoss

[Issue] Problem with Group Policy of mapped folder

Post by adoss »

I don't know if this will be helpful or not but I spent all evening yesterday troubleshooting this problem.
Description:
My users "my documents" folder is mapped to a share on the network under their username. Everytime they would try to save a document to their my documents folder there was an error that said document doesn't exist. The weird thing was that if they went to save the same document by going through my computer to the mapped network drive of the share and then their username folder it would save just fine. <- This rolled out the possiblity of folder / share security problems. Plus this was only happening to some of my users where the shares resided on a particular server. So the summary of the problem Open Office wouldn't save or open a document that was stored under a mapped "my documents" folder with the unc path. Finally I rolled out all of the differences between my two different servers and when I specified the ip address of my server in the unc path instead of the computer name it would work just fine. <--- No it wasn't a DNS issue the systems could ping the computer name. The problem turns out to be that my server computer name had the "_" underscore character in the computer name and therefore wouldn't save or open files through the unc path. I really hate to say this but Microsoft office didn't have this problem. :(..... So my final fix was to specify the unc path with the ip address <--- Which I don't like to do in case I ever (hope not) have to change the IP of my server I will need to remember to change the group policy or B:) which I might do is to create a new dns host record with an alternative name for the server. <--- For other reasons I do not want to just change the computername.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged the thread as issue (link to a bug report).
Phil
Volunteer

Re: Problem with Group Policy of mapped my documents folder

Post by Phil »

Hi and welcome to the community!

I suspect that your problem is covered in this issue (53184).
Although a patch is already available and although there is 43 votes for it, the patch will not be included in release 2.4. The target milestone is instead set to OOo 3.0 now.
At least, there is some hope that this is gonna be fixed in 3.0, which will not come out before September though.

KR, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Re: Problem with Group Policy of mapped my documents folder

Post by AndrewZ »

There are two workaround you can choose. It may not be too bad:

1. Instead of using UNC path like (\\server_name\path\filename.odt) map to a drive letter like X:\
2. Change the UNC path name to not include underscores in path names
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP