[Issue] OpenOffice.org delayed copy to clipboard

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
idealists

[Issue] OpenOffice.org delayed copy to clipboard

Post by idealists »

Hi

This is a new problem.

I noticed all of a sudden, today for the first time, a delay from copying from text in Calc (or any other OO app) to the clipboard, the text copied wouldn't be available to paste into an external app (any apps, browser, notepad, etc - internal paste no problem) until a few seconds had passed. ie, not instantly into the Windows (Seven) clipboard like it used to.

So to try and debug this I installed ClipMagic - ClipBoard viewer, and sure enough whenever I copied something from OO it didn't appear in ClipMagic clipboard view until a few seconds later.
OO doesn't freeze or any other such problem in this time.

Ctr-C and right click/menu shortcuts both result in the delayed copy to clipboard.

This has only started happening today, and I tried upgrading to the newest OO (version mentioned in my Sig) and the problem still occurs. I haven't installed any new software (apart from ClipMagic after finding the problem) that could have triggered the change.

One thing I notice in ClipMagic about the text copied from OO is that it is of different "Type" from text copied from other sources (browser etc) - it says that anything copied from OO is of type RTF (Rich Text format) compared with "Text" from most other programs. Not sure if this is the problem, but again I haven't changed anything on my system to cause the delay.

I am at a complete loss as to this. It may not sound bad, but it is annoying when you have a lot of copy paste to do.

Hope this makes sense, thanks for your help.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Issue] (link to a bug report).
OpenOffice 3.2.0 on Windows 7, Build:9483
Hagar Delest

Re: OpenOffice.org delayed copy to clipboard

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Do you remember any specific event before it started to act like that? Like Windows update?

You can try to reset your OOo user profile. But during the welcome process, don't transfer your personal data (if you had 2.x), former configuration files might corrupt the new profile.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
idealists

Post by idealists »

Thanks for the fast reply.

Yeah it seems to have occurred after a "blue screen of death" (first in a long time) - though I can't be 100% sure that this was a trigger as I haven't used OO for the past few days.

I followed those steps and renamed the user folder to user.old and when I restarted OO (after registration etc) the problem continued to occur.
idealists

Post by idealists »

Any other suggestions?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you tried to remove OOo and reinstall it? Cleaning the registry may help before reinstalling.
vijaya chandra

Post by vijaya chandra »

Started noticing the same issue from a few days!
Think it wasn't present before upgrading to 3.2.0.
Reset the OOo user profile, but still no use!
OpenOffice 3.2.0 on Windows XP - http://www.tachyon.in
Aarto

Post by Aarto »

I'm experiencing the same issue. The first time I have noticed it was in Calc (OOo 3.1.1), copying anything while in cell edit mode freezes whole Calc for a few seconds. Almost the same in Writer, with no freeze but there is about 3 seconds of delay before I can paste from clipboard to other not-OOo applications. I have upgraded to 3.2.0 and the issue still persists.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows XP
Sandwich

Post by Sandwich »

Same problem here. Extremely frustrating. It doesn't seem to happen internally within OOo, only externally. Happens when pasting into plaintext editors (Notepad++) and rich text editors (Wordpad) alike.

Interestingly, during the delay period, it seems to invalidate whatever was in the clipboard previously. For example:
  1. Select a line of text in OOo and CTRL-C it.
  2. Wait the 3-5 seconds
  3. Paste into an external program. This confirms that the clipboard contains data.
  4. Copy a different selection of text in OOo, and quickly try to paste it into Wordpad (in Win7, at least). Nothing should paste, and the error "ding" should sound (if the system is configured with system sounds).
Though it may not seem like it, this may be a blessing in disguise, since imagine the system pasting the old clipboard contents without any warnings during the 3-5 second delay it takes for the new content to be placed into the clipboard - the user would be pasting the wrong data without any indication that something was wrong.
OpenOffice 3.2.0 OOO320m12 (Build:9483) / Windows 7 Home Premium
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

I don't see this issue with Win 7. Copy and paste works as expected.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Sandwich

Post by Sandwich »

I got XP's Clipboard viewer running under Windows 7, and ran some tests.

I've confirmed that the clipboard is emptied of previous content the instant that CTRL-C is pressed in OOo. I've also timed the delay before the new content appears in the clipboard, and it consistently comes out to exactly 5 seconds.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

On my machine the paste is instantaneous. No delay. Perhaps something in your environment is affecting this.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Sandwich

Post by Sandwich »

I don't doubt that it's something that's not caused solely by OOo, all by itself. However, from the number of people who do have this problem, it's fairly safe to say that the cause is common enough to warrant having the bug fixed.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

But not that easy to find which 3rd party application is interfering! Could be a spyware application, an anti-virus checking what OOo is doing, ...
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

There is an open issue http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=49907 that describes the delays but nothing definitive about the cause.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
RaZiel

Post by RaZiel »

Been an issue for me since... forever, and still remains in 3.2. Lots of accessibility programs like screenreaders use a clipboardviewer to read copied text. It must be very irritating and frustrating for the users of such programs. Exact same problem in IBM Lotus Symphony, which is based on the same code base.

The workaround is simple, yet not very obvious.
1. Make sure no clipboard viewing program is running.
2. Open Writer, write "OpenOffice hates clipboard viewers", copy it to clipboard (CTRL+C or context menu).
3. Now you can run any clipboard viewing software without those nasty delays.

I bet any of my left toes (not really) that it's related to broken windows clipboard viewer code within OOo.
Strange that it hasn't been fixed a long long long time ago.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows XP SP3
Sandwich

Post by Sandwich »

RaZiel wrote:Been an issue for me since... forever, and still remains in 3.2. Lots of accessibility programs like screenreaders use a clipboardviewer to read copied text. It must be very irritating and frustrating for the users of such programs. Exact same problem in IBM Lotus Symphony, which is based on the same code base.

2. Open Writer, write "OpenOffice hates clipboard viewers", copy it to clipboard (CTRL+C or context menu).

I bet any of my left toes (not really) that it's related to broken windows clipboard viewer code within OOo.

Wait, wait, wait.... WHAT!? How in tarnation did you come up with this solution? It actually works! I wish it persisted across sessions, but still... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? :shock:
RaZiel

Post by RaZiel »

Sandwich wrote:
RaZiel wrote:Been an issue for me since... forever, and still remains in 3.2. Lots of accessibility programs like screenreaders use a clipboardviewer to read copied text. It must be very irritating and frustrating for the users of such programs. Exact same problem in IBM Lotus Symphony, which is based on the same code base.

Wait, wait, wait.... WHAT!? How in tarnation did you come up with this solution? It actually works! I wish it persisted across sessions, but still... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? :shock:
By elimination :) I've re-opened the issue with a new bug report at http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=112682. I hope they'll take it more seriously now, and be able to track down the problem with the help of my workaround.
But I'm not having too much of an hope, since it seems this has been an unsolved issue for a decade!
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows XP SP3
WebWeaver64

Post by WebWeaver64 »

Well the tip didn't work for me. It works without delay sometimes, and then I have the delay again, and I haven't been able to find out what causes it to happen or what causes it not to happen, and I've been trying to pay attention. It is very irritating.
Shari
OOo 3.1.X on MS Windows Vista
WebWeaver64

Post by WebWeaver64 »

Never mind it did work. I have 2 programs that run the viewer and had only closed one. :)
Shari
WebWeaver64

Post by WebWeaver64 »

Anyone who has this issue please create an account and vote on the bug. There are currently only 8 votes. If you want it fixed lets get the votes up!
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=49907
Shari
Rado

Re: [Issue] OpenOffice.org delayed copy to clipboard

Post by Rado »

Hey Guys! Sorry about re-opening such an old thread, but I started seeing this issue yesterday in "some app" - not remember where, but there was the delay AND the freeze. Today while working in OpenOffice Writer, it happened again - delay of some 8 seconds but no freezing. Google search brought me to this forum only to find a disappointing answer that this has not been addressed at all...

Anyway, for a bit of insight - here's the only thing that somehow relates. I've never used any kind of clipboard monitoring apps. Yesterday, though, we were having a little fun in the office and I have tried to use the "Windows Speech Recognition". It went through the setup wizard, etc, I was using it for a while but then closed it completely, and also configured it NOT TO start automatically when Windows starts. I was wondering if the issue can be related?

As of now, I can still see the issue - I have tried to stop all running apps, I have tried to kill suspicious processes, I have also tried to review all processes and running services to make sure there's no part of Speech Recognition running right now. So far, nothing helps. Any other ideas? Thanks!
Office: Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7 Professional 64bit
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For what it is worth, I believe Skype does something to the clipboard which OpenOffice doesn't like.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

We have not seen such reports for a long time now, perhaps you should upgrade to 3.4.1 and see if that helps. Note that you may have to reset your OpenOffice user profile.
Rado

Post by Rado »

Thank you guys, I'll try upgrading when time permits (possibly tomorrow).

RoryOF: I'm using skype but I did close it while trying to close all apps and it didn't help.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have no personal experience with Skype, but my memory of previous postings on this forum is that the presence of its software is what interferes with AOO.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Rado

Post by Rado »

Just FYI: I have upgraded to Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 but it's still the same. I have fully uninstalled the previous version, and have also manually removed the user profile from AppData/Roaming.

In Writer - there's just the delay, but in Calc, it will freeze and become unresponsive for a few seconds if you copy a selection of text from within a cell (it will not do that if you copy a cell as a whole).
Rado

Post by Rado »

Here's a new finding: the issue disappears if I quit Live Support Operator Console and is only present while Live Support Operator Console 5.4.4 is running (this is an app by providesupport.com). The strange thing is that Live Support has been running on my computer all the time since March 2012 and has never been updated, no changes to the configuration, etc. So I'm sure the issue must be somehow related to the only change I made to my computer two days ago - and that was the Windows Speech Recognition testing.

I'll keep trying to figure this out...
hislordship

Post by hislordship »

Hello

I've also just noticed I'm having this problem here.
Normally I copy text from documents or spreadsheets into Corel Draw and I suddenly found that I wasn't getting a response.
It would take me a good couple of CTRL + V or Shift + Insert to get a response.
First I thought the wireless keyboard was playing up, maybe signal or batteries.
None of those.
Sent a Twitter message to Corel and asked them if they knew of this issue, thinking the fault lay with Corel.
Did some copy and paste within Corel and it was immediate, so I put it down to a delay between the two applications.
Anyway, doing some work for a client this morning and I found that every time I copied, then wanted to paste (when in the Corel window)
the Open Office window title bar would go from grey to black (as if I was now working on that window), and then the paste would work in Corel.
So I replied to Corel and apologised.

Now I see the problem definitely lies with Open Office.
So I got the latest version (had 3.3 before today) and hoped this would fix it, but no such luck.
The delay is copying from Open Office to ANYTHING.
Tried to replicate the problem on two other computers and neither of them have the same issue (Open Office 3.3, one using Windows XP and one using Windows 7).
My computer is also Windows XP.

I have also done the new profile thing even though I installed the new version, and that hasn't helped either.
Open Office 3.4.1 (and other 3.3 versions on other PCs)
hislordship

Post by hislordship »

Ok, this is really bizarre.

I have now tried doing a system restore which didn't help (thought it may have been a recent Microsoft update).
Also tried disabling antivirus (McAfee in this case).
Reinstalled Open Office
Did a registry clean twice!
YET NONE OF THEM HELPED.
Still suffered the delay copying and pasting to any other program.

So then I went through the processes running on my system and closed off two at a time then tested again.
Suddenly the problem went away. Now I suspect it was WPFFontCache_v0400.exe
Restarted my PC to try find exactly which of the two caused it, but now it's working perfectly again.
The only thing that's now different from normal is I disabled McAfee firewall and left it disabled.
BUT the problem didn't stop immediately after changing the firewall setting, it was a good two or three minutes after I changed that setting that
it stopped the delay nonsense.

Maybe this can help someone else trace what causes the problem.
Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays fine now ;)
hislordship

Post by hislordship »

Good morning

On starting my computer again this morning, the same problem has resurfaced.
Rather annoying to say the least.

I started ending tasks again starting with WPFFontCache_v0400.exe which did nothing.
After ending a couple more, I ended my VNCServer and Client application (use it a lot for virtual desktops here) and now the problem is gone!
So I've found the culprit in my instance!