How do I set OOo to be default doc program?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
momof2boys

How do I set OOo to be default doc program?

Post by momof2boys »

I am new to openoffice. Can someone please tell me how to set it to be my default word program? Everytime I try to open a .doc my computer wants to use Word 2007 to open it. That is what came with my computer and I only have the trail version.
Thanks
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: How do I set OO to be default doc program?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

See [Tutorial] Setting the default program for MS Office formats.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

In Windows 7 Click Start--->Default programs--->Set Default Programs----->Openoffice.org3.1--->Set this program as default. Note that this will change all the defaults for all the file types OOo can open
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
hiku1101

Post by hiku1101 »

Thomasjk thank you for the succinct and helpful information. I was almost to the point of buying Windows 7 because I could not figure out how to open attachment docs with OpenOffice. Your tip worked!! Thank you again!
OpenOffice 3.2 & Windows 7
OakBloodThree

Re: How do I set OO to be default for all types on Windows 7

Post by OakBloodThree »

thomasjk wrote:In Windows 7 Click Start--->Default programs--->Set Default Programs----->Openoffice.org3.1--->Set this program as default. Note that this will change all the defaults for all the file types OOo can open
Any ideas what to do if OO is not in this Set Default Programs list?

I have tried running a repair install, both through control panel as well as from Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe and OO just doesn't appear in that list.

Windows help just offers instructions on how to manually assign each extension, but since the files are not associated with anything currently, the file types aren't even in the list (except for .odt which I did manually).

This was a clean install of Windows 7 that never had any "competing" office programs installed (e.g. LO or MS).
OpenOffice 4.0.0 (sort of)
Windows 7 Professional SP1
Bill
Volunteer

Re: How do I set OOo to be default doc program?

Post by Bill »

Select "Modify" installation instead of "Repair" installation. The Installation Wizard should then show options to set AOO as the default program for MS Office formats.
OakBloodThree

Re: How do I set OOo to be default doc program?

Post by OakBloodThree »

Bill wrote:Select "Modify" installation instead of "Repair" installation. The Installation Wizard should then show options to set AOO as the default program for MS Office formats.
Tried that, but the problem isn't with MS office formats, it's with the native OO formats like .odt (see title on my previous post. Double clicking OO native files pops up a dialog asking what application to use.
OpenOffice 4.0.0 (sort of)
Windows 7 Professional SP1