[Solved] Corporate install

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Paul.Rabahy

[Solved] Corporate install

Post by Paul.Rabahy »

Hi,
I am looking to deploy OpenOffice for my company. We have a lot of computers that are all Windows 2000 sp4 and Windows XP sp2. I want to make a couple of customizations to the software upon install.
First, all installs should be automatic (no user interaction).
Next, I want to check if Microsoft Office is installed. If not, associate .doc, .xls, and .ppt with OpenOffice. To do this I have made this little AutoIT script.

Code: Select all

If FileExists(@ProgramFilesDir & "\Microsoft Office\") Then
	RunWait("msiexec /qr /norestart /i openofficeorg23.msi")
Else
	RunWait("msiexec /qr /norestart /i openofficeorg23.msi SELECT_WORD=1 SELECT_EXCEL=1 SELECT_POWERPOINT=1")
EndIf
Next, I want OpenOffice to default to Microsoft formats for saving. I customized these files to default to the Microsoft formats. I added these lines to the above script.

$location = @ProgramFilesDir & "\OpenOffice.org 2.3\share\registry\modules\org\openoffice\Setup\"
FileCopy("Setup-calc.xcu", $location)
FileCopy("Setup-impress.xcu", $location)
FileCopy("Setup-writer.xcu", $location)
Finally, I want to skip the first run wizard. Wrote this script that will be added to the "all users" startup folder.

#NoTrayIcon

If FileExists(@AppDataDir & "\OpenOffice.org2\user\registry\data\org\openoffice\Setup.xcu") Then
	Exit
Else
	WinWaitActive ("Welcome to OpenOffice.org 2.3")
	Send("!n");next
	Send("!{w 50}");scroll down
	Send("!a");accept
	Send("!n");next
	Send("!r");I do not want to register
	Send("!f");finish
EndIf
Does this seem like a good way to do this install? Does anybody know a way to simplify skipping the first run wizard?
Last edited by Paul.Rabahy on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: Corporate install

Post by Hagar Delest »

For 3rd point, see here for other methods: [Solved] Welcome to Open Office screen.

For 2nd point, The same configuration file handles the default save format, see here : Default format (odt to doc) for domain users.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Paul.Rabahy

Post by Paul.Rabahy »

Good Solution for 3rd point. That seems to be more reliable than what I was doing. I will make a script to delete everything in @StartMenuCommonDir & "\OpenOffice.org 2.3" and make the links that I want. These will likely be @ProgramFilesDir & "\OpenOffice.org 2.3\program\swriter.exe" -nofirststartwizard, ect.

Thanks for the advice for the 2nd point, but my way only involves editing 3 files total. In your recommendation I need to edit a file for every user that logs on. This seems like it could be more error prone, and requires a script to launch every logon to ensure new users get the defaults.Is there a problem that I don't see with the method that I use?

Thanks again for all the help/advice.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I guess you intend to use the -nofirstartwizard parameter then. I don't think it's the best method because in case of crash and automatic re-launch, I'm not sure the wizard will be skipped.

You don't really need to 'edit' the file each time. Just check if it exists and if not, copy one from either a network place or coming from the .msi package (I guess it can be tweaked to add files to be placed in the main installation folder).
Paul.Rabahy

Post by Paul.Rabahy »

I just tried
The another solution is to use a script copying the script.xcu containing the string corresponding to a completed registration in each user profile at first login.
and got these errors when I tried to launch Writer.
Error loading BASIC of document file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/MYUSERNAME/Application%20Data/OpenOffice.org2/user/basic/script.xcu/:
General Error.
General input/output error.
Error loading BASIC of document file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/MYUSERNAME/Application%20Data/OpenOffice.org2/user/basic/script.xli/:
General Error.
Error loading BASIC of document file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/MYUSERNAME/Application%20Data/OpenOffice.org2/user/basic/dialog.xlc/:
General Error.
Error loading BASIC of document file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/MYUSERNAME/Application%20Data/OpenOffice.org2/user/basic/dialogs.xli/:
General Error.
The folder structure of the "Application Data" folder is also messed up. It appears that only about 1/3 of the required files were made. Any suggestions?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Paul.Rabahy wrote:I just tried
The another solution is to use a script copying the script.xcu containing the string corresponding to a completed registration in each user profile at first login.
I guess you're talking about setup.xcu.

There has been a problem with the install if files are missing (especially the ones OOo is looking for above). The script should copy only one file after the install has been done.
Paul.Rabahy

Post by Paul.Rabahy »

Yes, I am talking about setup.xcu.

edit: I have tried this several times on 2 different virtual machines with the same results. I have also used the setup.xcu from my real machine.

The exact procedure I used is as follows:
Launch a virtual machine
Install Open Office (using standard installer)
Launch Writer
Go through first time startup
Copy setup.xcu to my real machine
Revert the virtual machine
Install Open Office (using standard installer)
Copy setup.xcu from my real machine
Launch Writer
Receive error messages

I reread
Hagar de l'Est wrote:For 3rd point, see here for other methods: [Solved] Welcome to Open Office screen.
another couple times and I think I am following those instructions precisely. Please let me know if I am missing/messing up a step. Thanks for all your help and patience.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Well, the virtual machine is a rather special situation I guess. Links may be different (in their syntax), hence a problem when using the file created under the VM in the real machine. Why using a VM? Is it mandatory?
Paul.Rabahy

Post by Paul.Rabahy »

I am using the VM for testing and development purposes. I have it set so that every time I turn it off, all changes get deleted. I use this so that each install script I test starts exactly the same. It is also faster to revert the VM than uninstall OpenOffice.

All the links should be the same. OpenOffice can't even tell it is running in an VM because it is a full install of windows.

I ended up copying the whole "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\user" folder and that seems to have fixed the problem.
Edit: I put a copy with registration completed in "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\user" so that whenever a new user logs on his profile will be populated with the registration data.

Do you think there will be any long term problems with this?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Paul.Rabahy wrote:I ended up copying the whole "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\user" folder and that seems to have fixed the problem.
Yes, I think that's the better solution. But it's still rather strange that a standard install results in missing files as you said above.
Paul.Rabahy wrote:Edit: I put a copy with registration completed in "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\user" so that whenever a new user logs on his profile will be populated with the registration data.

Do you think there will be any long term problems with this?
I don't know how Windows handles that Default user account. So can't really tell but I don't think there is any impact on the long term.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.