[Solved] Changing default lang for docs made from Explorer

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
random_guy

[Solved] Changing default lang for docs made from Explorer

Post by random_guy »

I've changed the default language in tools-options-default language for documents. I've changed the default language of the styles using f11. I've made a new template with those defaults and made it the default template. I've scoured the internet for other bits of advice. And yet EVERY TIME I start a new document through explorer (right click-new-opendocument text) I have to reset the default language! If I make a new document by already having the program open and using file-new document it works, but I prefer to create the document first through explorer [Win XP]. How can I make it so that the new documents created use my default language (ENG-GB)?
Last edited by random_guy on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: changing default language for docs made through explorer

Post by Villeroy »

As far as I understand the general concept, the default language applies to all documents beeing newly created *from scratch* (without using a template). When Ctrl+N or Menu:File>New>some_type loads a user defined default template this setting has no effect. The setting does not affect existing documents nor templates unless you set the additional option "For the current document only".
Get a new document (Ctrl+N)
Have a look at Menu:File>Properties...Tab:General, Templates:
If no template name is shown, the default language should apply. Don't set "For the current document only"!

If a template name is shown, you are using a user defined default template for new documents:
Open your default template for editing: Menu:File>Templates>Edit...
Set the default language with option "For the current document only"

Do the same with other templates you use to open by Menu:File>New>Template...

Notice that all hard formatting overrides styles and other defaults, which may be another reason why your settings have no effect.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

That's an old bug with an easy workaround. See here: Issue 40233 - Making a new document from a context menu doesn't use a template.

Create a new document (will be based on your default template) and save it as soffice.odt, overwriting the file in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\username\Templates\.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.

NB: moved the thread in the Windows forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
random_guy

Post by random_guy »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:That's an old bug with an easy workaround.....
Great, that fixed it. Thanks a lot.
apc3161

Re: [Solved] Changing default lang for docs made from Explor

Post by apc3161 »

I just wanted to point out that this still hasn't been "fixed" in the true sense. The default language is still German when you open up a new document using Windows explorer, so spell check doesn't work. As far as I can tell, the easiest "fix" is to use MS Office as the default program for .odt files. I would rather use an open format than .docx.
Open Office 3.2 on Windows 7 32-bit
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

apc3161 wrote:As far as I can tell, the easiest "fix" is to use MS Office as the default program for .odt files.
:shock: :ucrazy:

Just use the workaround described in the issue report. Or upgrade to 3.3 since it seems to have been integrated (haven't tested on W2k yet).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
skywalker0110

Post by skywalker0110 »

This is still broken on OO 4.0 in WinXP. Sad that this problem has been around for so long with no fix
OpenOffice 4.0 on Windows XP