[Solved] Re-installing after accidental deletion of files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
IanPhipps

[Solved] Re-installing after accidental deletion of files

Post by IanPhipps »

When I updated recently, I was in a hurry and didn't verify the filepath to which the installer would unpack my files. Later, I was clearing my desktop of some unwanted items and deleted the OpenOffice files (Seriously, what program in the history of programs installs to the desktop by default?) not knowing what they were. After I realized what I'd done, I attempted to uninstall the program by going to Start>Programs>OpenOffice.org 3.1>Uninstall and by going to Start>Settings>Control Panel> Programs and Features. Anything I tried to do resulted in the same message (see picture below). Needless to say, the program wasn't actually open, and there are no other user profiles on my computer. I tried all of the standard stuff, such as turning the computer off and on and running disk cleanup and disk defragmenter utilities. I even deleted every single file related to OpenOffice on my computer and then attempted to uninstall it. Nothing helps.
Attachments
This is the message that pops up every time I try to uninstall, install, remove or modify the program.
This is the message that pops up every time I try to uninstall, install, remove or modify the program.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows Vista
chaos83

Re: Re-installing after accidental deletion of files

Post by chaos83 »

Maybe you can reinstall OO back into the same location overwriting any existing files. Then perform the Uninstall to see if it's successful.
OpenOffice.org 3.1.1
Windows 7 Enterprise
acknak

Post by acknak »

Seriously, what program in the history of programs installs to the desktop by default?
OOo does not install to the desktop--although it's understandable that you might think so.

The OOo download bundle installs in two steps. First, the download bundle is unpacked, then the unpacked installation files are installed on the system. I've never seen another Windows software install that exposes this two-step process the way OOo does. Usually, the bundle is unpacked in some out-of-the-way temporary location and the user never sees it.

The files on your desktop are only the unpacked bundle, they are not the installed software. The files on the desktop are not required for OOo to run--at all. They are only useful if you should ever need to repair or re-install the working installation files.

On Windows, the normal OOo install includes the "Quickstarter," which starts when your system starts. You have to exit the OOo Quickstarter to completely exit OOo. You can do that through the quickstarter's icon in the system tray.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
IanPhipps

Post by IanPhipps »

acknak wrote:You have to exit the OOo Quickstarter to completely exit OOo. You can do that through the quickstarter's icon in the system tray.
I tried to find the Quick starter icon in the system tray and it wasn't there. I changed its settings to show all the time and it still didn't work. I imagine it has something to do with having deleted all of the files, which I now regret. Is there another way to access the Quickstarter?
Attachments
OpenOfficeInstallationProblem2.jpg
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Right Click on the task bar and start Task Manager. Select the Processes tab and if OpenOffice quickstarter is running (can't remember its exact system name) click on it and select End Process button. Ignore the doom-laden warnings and OK deletion. Now try to reinstall OOo.

Edit: also select and delete any processes such as sWriter, sOffice, sCalc, if they show up.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry, I didn't notice you're running Vista. Apparently the situation is different on Vista, and I've not seen any clear description of steps that work for Vista.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
ScurvyDawg

Post by ScurvyDawg »

I am currently in the exact same situation. I even used Revo Uninstaller without any positive effect.

I cannot, anywhere, find anything on my PC that is from OOo.

I get the exact same message as the original poster.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Vista Ultimate
IanPhipps

Post by IanPhipps »

None of the above suggestions have worked. I tried to find Quickstarter in the Processes tab of the Task Manager, but it wasn't there, unless it has some wacky name that has nothing to do with quick starting or OpenOffice.
Attachments
OpenOfficeInstallationProblem3.jpg
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

IanPhipps wrote:When I updated recently, I was in a hurry and didn't verify the filepath to which the installer would unpack my files. Later, I was clearing my desktop of some unwanted items and deleted the OpenOffice files (Seriously, what program in the history of programs installs to the desktop by default?) not knowing what they were. After I realized what I'd done, I attempted to uninstall the program by going to Start>Programs>OpenOffice.org 3.1>Uninstall and by going to Start>Settings>Control Panel> Programs and Features. Anything I tried to do resulted in the same message (see picture below). Needless to say, the program wasn't actually open, and there are no other user profiles on my computer. I tried all of the standard stuff, such as turning the computer off and on and running disk cleanup and disk defragmenter utilities. I even deleted every single file related to OpenOffice on my computer and then attempted to uninstall it. Nothing helps.
Deleting the files from the desktop isn't the problem. They are temporary files which are useless after OOo has been successfully installed. I always delete them. The real program files are in the Program Files folder, and you shouldn't be able to delete them without going to Start > Control Panel > Uninstall a Program, then selecting OpenOffice... and clicking Uninstall. When you deleted "every single file related to OpenOffice" did you actually delete the files in the Program Files folder?
johnjbest

Post by johnjbest »

I am in the same boat having installed on to a brand new Windows 7 machine. (x64 win 7 premium)

I have run the MSI Cleanup
I have removed the profiles
Searched the registry for "Startup" programs
Looked for icons in the system tray
Looked for Services
Checked the process listing

I cannot find any OO processes that are running. The folder into which OO was installed has been removed, program is not present in the installed programs etc.

Yet everytime I attempt to reinstall I get the message that processes (quickstart, etc) are running and need to shutdown.
(When attempting to uninstall I was also getting the same message - hence the running of msi cleanup, etc.. )

Essentially dead in the water with Open Office until resolved. - NEXT STEP WILL BE TO TRY IN SAFE MODE...
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

See install reports quickstart running and stops (Issue 104421)

To uninstall OOo, delete the registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\OpenOffice.org

On 64-bit Windows, the error occurs when the registry key hasn't been deleted and the OOo program files folder has been deleted. I tested this on 64-bit Windows 7 by exporting the registry key, uninstalling OOo, deleting the OOo program files folder and restoring the registry key. When trying to re-install OOo, the error message popped up informing me that the Quickstarter was running. After deleting the registry key, the re-installation worked normally.
kallude

Post by kallude »

had the same problem and this how i fixed it..go to start then run, type in regedit that will take you to registry editer double click on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder then open the software folder scroll down to the openoffice.org folder and delete it. Then go and reinstall openoffice. :super:
openoffice 3.1 windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

kallude wrote:had the same problem and this how i fixed it..go to start then run, type in regedit that will take you to registry editer double click on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder then open the software folder scroll down to the openoffice.org folder and delete it. Then go and reinstall openoffice. :super:
You must have 32-bit Windows 7. In 64-bit Windows 7 the 32-bit applications like OOo are in the Wow6432Node folder. Only 64-bit applications are in the software folder.

Edit: I don't have 32-bit Windows 7 to try this, but it does work in 32-bit Vista.
healingcoachorg

Re: [Solved] Re-installing after accidental deletion of files

Post by healingcoachorg »

Re: can't re-install OO due to quickstart error msg.: No, Win 7 64 bit behaves as described in the post below, not as the expert corrected.

"kallude wrote: had the same problem and this how i fixed it..go to start then run, type in regedit that will take you to registry editer double click on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder then open the software folder scroll down to the openoffice.org folder and delete it. Then you can reinstall openoffice."

The above works my new PC with Win 7 64 bit.

this part does not apply in any way on my 64bit Win 7 machine:

"You must have 32-bit Windows 7. In 64-bit Windows 7 the 32-bit applications like OOo are in the Wow6432Node folder. Only 64-bit applications are in the software folder."

Nor does the earlier suggestion on this page to delete the key in Wow6432Node folder. The exact key string, generously provided, does not appear anywhere in that folder on my machine.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7
earthasa

Re: [Solved] Re-installing after accidental deletion of file

Post by earthasa »

I'm also on Win 7 64-Bit. On trying to uninstall OpenOffice 3.2, using the Uninstall button under Windows' Program and Features, I got the error message asking me to quit the Quickstarter and try again. QuickStarter was not, however, running. No OpenOffice related processes were running (I checked all users) and I oculd find no OpenOffice-related services either.

However, selecting "Change" instead of "Uninstall" in Programs and Features, and then selecting the "Uninstall" option in that interface simply worked without a hitch. No need to "Repair".

Seems like a bug? I would also recommend having the uninstaller automatically close Quickstarter if it really is running rather than make the user try to figure out how. Even more importantly, don't throw that error if it isn't true :)

Thank you all the developers for the hard work you do on OpenOffice. Appreciated!
- Asa
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows 7 64-Bit
zerbit

Post by zerbit »

[quote="healingcoachorg"]Re: can't re-install OO due to quickstart error msg.: No, Win 7 64 bit behaves as described in the post below, not as the expert corrected.

"kallude wrote: had the same problem and this how i fixed it..go to start then run, type in regedit that will take you to registry editer double click on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder then open the software folder scroll down to the openoffice.org folder and delete it. Then you can reinstall openoffice."

The above works my new PC with Win 7 64 bit.

this part does not apply in any way on my 64bit Win 7 machine:

"You must have 32-bit Windows 7. In 64-bit Windows 7 the 32-bit applications like OOo are in the Wow6432Node folder. Only 64-bit applications are in the software folder."

Nor does the earlier suggestion on this page to delete the key in Wow6432Node folder. The exact key string, generously provided, does not appear anywhere in that folder on my machine.[/qu

No openoffice.org file in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and I wasn't able to locate the Wow6432Node folder, either. :crazy:
Deb Lander Reno, NV USA Win 8.1 Intel i7-5500U CPU@2.40 GHz 64bit 8G RAM
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

zerbit wrote:No openoffice.org file in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and I wasn't able to locate the Wow6432Node folder, either. :crazy:
You should be looking in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04