Problem upgrading to OpenOffice 3.1.1

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
moonlustie

Problem upgrading to OpenOffice 3.1.1

Post by moonlustie »

Hi

Tried updating my OO3.1 and got this message: "Please exit OpenOffice.org 3.1 and the OpenOffice.org 3.1 Quickstarter before you continue. If you are using a multi-user system, also make sure that no other user has OpenOffice.org 3.1 open".

I didn't have OO3.1 open and I am the only user, I tried uninstalling 3.1 and I still get the same message.

Please advise.

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases your chances of a reply. (TheGurkha, Moderator)
Cheers
Moon

OpenOffice 3.1/Vista Home Premium
Hagar Delest

Re: Problem upgrading to OpenOffice 3.1.1

Post by Hagar Delest »

Are you sure that the Quickstarter is not active? See if there is the OOo icon in the system tray bottom right of your screen.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
DocMartin

Post by DocMartin »

I am having the same issue.

I can confirm that:

(1) There is no OOo icon in the system tray

(2) Task Mangl^H^Hager shows no process that even remotely resembles anything from OpenOffice. No "Oo..." No "quickst..." No "s{base,draw,write}... etc."

(3) I re-started the system and, first thing off the bat, tried running the "setup.exe" from the Installation folder. I got the same message

(4) When I tried un-installing Open Office 3.1.0, I got the same message.

I suspect that there's some residual semaphore file that's supposed to indicate that QuickStarter is running, that didn't get deleted when the system crashed, or something like that. Of course, I don't know for sure. A search -- especially when I don't know what I'm looking for -- would be prohibitively effortful.

Does anyone know?

Thanks.
Ouch!
Ooo 3.1.0 (trying for 3.1.1)
MicroCru^H^H^HSoft WindBl^H^Hows XP Pro 2002 SP 3
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

Check in task manager for running soffice.exe and soffice.bin.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
DocMartin

Post by DocMartin »

No, they're not there.

I meant those to be implicitly included in the phrase: No "s{base,draw,write}... etc."

I also just now tried starting and then stopping the QuickStarter. When I started it, soffice.exe and soffice.bin appeared in Task Mangler, and when I stopped it, they disappeared. I was hoping that whatever semaphore file QS creates would be removed, but no such luck.

Which does not help answer the mystery; it merely confirms that the obvious have been properly eliminated.

Are moonlustie and I the only ones having this issue?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You're not alone, see that query.
plumblord

Post by plumblord »

Hello Friends,
I have also had a problem installing OpenOffice. My problem began when I made a rookie mistake and manually deleted 3.1.0 from my laptop. I then downloaded 3.1.1 and got this message:
OOo Install error window.jpg
OpenOffice.org 3.1
"Please exit OpenOffice.org 3.1 and the OpenOffice.org 3.1 Quickstarter before you continue. If you are using a multi-user system, also make sure that no other user has OpenOffice3.1 open."

Here are my attempts at solving this issue to date:

1) Manually delete all instances of OpenOffice from this laptop.
2) Download both 3.1.0 and 3.1.1 and attempt to install multiple times. Each attempt results in the same error message. (see above)
3) CCleaner 2.23.0.999, I used all cleaning functions available.
4) Microsoft Uninstall Utility. This program apparently did it's thing.
5) Checked out solutions via this web site.

This sucks. I recently switched to OpenOffice from MS Office 2007. I am not able to open several important files. Please help.

Scott

P.S. a jpg copy of the error message is attached.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista Basic
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

As good as it is, CCleaner won't tidy up after badly uninstalled programs. It only removes cookies and unwanted data fragments and orphaned registry entries and the like.

Have you deleted the user Profile [Tutorial] The OOo user profile?

Do you have an Ooo icon in the tooltray near the clock? If so close that and then try to re-install.

You could also try Revo uninstaller, run that and see if it finds any instance of OOo. That will do a 'deep' uninstall.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
plumblord

Post by plumblord »

Hi Gurkha,

I tried Revo; no instance of OpenOffice shows up. I found the OpenOffice profile and deleted it. I'm still getting the error messages.
Any other ideas?

Scott
LoTo

Post by LoTo »

Hi Gurkha,

I tried Revo; no instance of OpenOffice shows up. I found the OpenOffice profile and deleted it. I'm still getting the error messages.
Any other ideas?

Scott
idem... :crazy:
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista & on Ubuntu 9.04
eremmel

Post by eremmel »

I did not have had any issues with upgrade from 3.1 to 3.1.1 (downloaded the installer without JRE manually). But the following steps might help identify the issue for the more technical readers. In cases like this I like to take Register Monitor (regmon.exe) and File Monitor (filemon.exe) (or the more complex Process Monitor (procmon.exe)) tools from http://www.sysinternals.com and trace what the programs is trying to access. I takes some effort and guess work, but one might find suspicious access to some files or registry keys. When those are removed (rename first) and installer continues please share with other users.
Last edited by eremmel on Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I haven't had any problems installing or updating to OOo 3.1.1 on Vista Home Premium SP2.

Anyone having this problem should add comments to the bug report install reports quickstart running and stops.
new61

Post by new61 »

I have a fix for this problem! At least for me.

After trying everything from deleting my profile to uninstalling 3.0 with Revo, I had the idea to download the beta version of Open Office. The developmental version (3.2) installed and works perfectly.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows Vist 32bit
plumblord

Post by plumblord »

I finally gave up on OOo3.1.1 and 3.1.0. Downloaded OOo2.4.3 and now have my office software up and running. Havn't found OOo3.2 beta. So, hope this bug gets figured out by someone; for nows 2.4.3 for me. Hey, that ryhmes.
billyork

Post by billyork »

I had the same problem with 3.1.1, and I went straight to the 3.2 Beta, which worked without the heroic measures.

Windows XP x64.
Open Office 3.0
Microsoft Windows XP Pro x64
DocMartin

Post by DocMartin »

TheGurkha wrote:. . . . .
Have you deleted the user Profile [Tutorial] The OOo user profile?
Yeah, I tried that too. I deleted all users' profiles; didn't help. Out of desperation I uninstalled and tried re-installing; same message.
billyork wrote:I had the same problem with 3.1.1, and I went straight to the 3.2 Beta, which worked without the heroic measures.

Windows XP x64.
While I'm not too keen on being a Beta-tester, this sounds good to me. Only thing is, I can't seem to find the download point for 3.2 Beta version. Could someone please supply a pointer?

Also, the bug report cited by Bill » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:59 am seems to indicate that a *lot* of people are having this problem.

Thanks.
Ouch!
DocMartin

Post by DocMartin »

Actually, there's still more to the story.

By some glitch I can't identify (much less replicate) I was briefly able to install 3.1.1

I then created a new Limited user account. Tested out OO; that user couldn't use it (I forgot the exact wording of the error message).

That's when I started trying other more desperate measures. Among other things: Gave the user account Admin privilege; OO ran, but when I reverted that user account to Limited, the same error came back. I don't know if this is related to this same issue or is separate.

Had in mind to try installing OO after the Limited user account had been created. That's when I uninstalled and, upon attempting to re-install, got the same "QuickStart is running" message.
Ouch!
DocMartin

Post by DocMartin »

DocMartin wrote:. . . . .
I can't seem to find the download point for 3.2 Beta version. Could someone please supply a pointer?
Google Is My Friend. The download point is: http://download.openoffice.org/next/index.html

Installed completely smoothly.

But now the story gets reeeeeeeeeealy weeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd....

(1) When I clicked on one of my existing project files, it opened up in OO 3.1.1 (Surprise!) :o -- which I thought had failed to install.

Okay, that's good, but:

(2) Even though I had selected the "install for all users" option, the Limited user account still could not run OO. :knock:

(3) So I started up Cygwin, and went to the Program Files/OpenOffice.org 3 directory. Its permissions, and those of all its subdirectories, were dr-xrwx---
Huh? :?
Why give write permission to the Group and not the User?
Well, better proceed cautiously. I recursively added Read and Execute permissions for "Other" to it and all its subdirectories and sub-files...
And LO AND BEHOLD! the Limited user account can now run OO! :bravo:

I don't know how the 3.1.1 installation managed to occur, but I do know its permissions setting was worng, and I found a way to set that right.
Ouch!
seventhsamurai

Post by seventhsamurai »

I had this issue during a re-installation following an incorrect uninstallation. Took me a while to figure it out but it's actually a pretty simple issue to solve.

First, download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... sicuu2.exe

Install it and run it. See if it lists Open Office amongst the installed programs, and uninstall it. This utility will clean out most of the Open Office elements from your system.

Then, go to the Start Menu >> Run >> and type in "regedit". This will run the registry editor. Press CTRL+F which will open the "find" window. Run a search in the registry for "soffice.bin".

It will select an entry with "soffice.bin". DELETE it. Then press F3 to search for the same thing again, and delete every instance of soffice.bin.

You should now be able to re-install Open Office without any issues.
Open Office v 3.1.1 on Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

For the record, see also that one, found by Bill: Re-installing after accidental deletion of files.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.