[Solved] Installation on USB drive

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
ryeargan

[Solved] Installation on USB drive

Post by ryeargan »

Is there a way that Open Office 3.0 can be installed on a USB portable drive so I can always have it with me when moving from one computer to another. I work in several offices that do not have OO3 installed and would like to work on my documents from a USB drive.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
symtex

Re: installation on USB drive

Post by symtex »

OOo 3.1.1 on Ms Windows XP + Kubuntu 8.04
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

+1 for the portable apps site in the link above.

Copying your apps to the hard drive of the computer you have your USB in and working on that copy, then saving back to the USB when you are finished will be faster, and it will also prolong the life of the USB stick, and is considered by some to be safer than working directly on the USB drive.

I have a small external USB hard drive with OOo Portable on it, and it works like a dream.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
ryeargan

Post by ryeargan »

Thanks, I downloaded portable version, works great! I am much happier!
Bob Y
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
bhmt

Re: [Solved] Installation on USB drive

Post by bhmt »

ryeargan wrote:Is there a way that Open Office 3.0 can be installed on a USB portable drive so I can always have it with me when moving from one computer to another. I work in several offices that do not have OO3 installed and would like to work on my documents from a USB drive.
- I'd make occasional backups of the user folder for any one I'm using, in case the fix to some problem is "reset your user profile."

Note that if you use extensions (and you do), in the portable you MUST install the extension for YOU ONLY when asked (or however that is phrased, and not for everyone.

If you use an installed (vs portable) version, too, be sure to backup any profile before you try to copy it to the other. Since the installed version has things in different places for shared use, expect some things not to work if you use the other's profile.

But I love my openoffice portable. Best thing ever.

Oh, someone above here suggested copying your program to the hard drive, then copying it back. It does sound like it will run faster on the HD, but learn where the user folder is and maybe only copy that back to the USB; that has all your personal settings, user dicionary, macros, etc, and (check to be sure) I think it is all that might get changed during your session. It will vary but it's maybe 20 or 30% of the whole program. Copying more is adding a tiny bit of added wear but gonna take a big nibble nibble out of of your lunch hour on most flash drives. You should of course delete the program and if possible securely ERASE your user folder from the HD (ignore me if you feel otherwise in your work environment), a consideration not to copy it there in the first place, of course.

And don't forget to first get your new document file copied over.

And be extremely good about proper software drive ejection with OOo and your profile (see "save your profile ocassionally" above)