[Solved] Thumbnail previews of .doc vs .odt files .....

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Khedrub

[Solved] Thumbnail previews of .doc vs .odt files .....

Post by Khedrub »

I use Windows XP.

Since starting to use Open Office 3.0, when I use writer and save as a .doc file I can no longer see a snapshot picture of the page in the thumbnail preview when using windows explorers. It shows as a logo of writer. When I use writer and save as a .odt file I do see a snapshot picture in the thumbnail preview when using windows explorer.

Previously, when using Open Office 2.4, I was able to see a snapshot picture of the page in the thumbnail preview when using windows explorer irregardless of whether I saved as a .doc or .odt file.

Is there is way to see snapshot pictures of the page in the thumbnail for files saved as .doc with Open Office 3.0?

Thank you for any help.
Last edited by Khedrub on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
acknak

Re: Thumbnail previews of .doc vs .odt files in windows explorer

Post by acknak »

The problem is that adding the thumbnail preview also adds about 65k to the file size, which can cause major problems. This seems to be an efficiency problem in the way that OOo creates the .doc files, because MS Word does not need so much space for the preview, and the preview image in the .odt file is only 4k.

Apparently, it was decided that the best solution was to simply omit the preview image from the .doc export.

The missing preview problem was reported here: Issue 97370: thumbnails of *.doc, created with OOo 3.0 does not exist. It was closed as "WONTFIX", with a pointer to the issue I mentioned above. Under that issue, there is a workaround option given:
------- Additional comments from sj Tue Apr 15 15:11:22 +0000 2008 -------
This issue [file size too large] has been fixed now in cws[impress141]. Calc & Writer will no longer create preview bitmaps when saving to ms, when saving impress to ppt everything stays unchanged. This is the same behavior as it is done in Office 2007.

However, if anybody is unhappy with this change, creating previews can still be enabled/disabled via configuration. In "Office.Common/Filter/Microsoft/Export" following three attributes determine if preview creation is enabled: "EnablePowerPointPreview", "EnableCalcPreview" and "EnableWordPreview".

There is no UI planned to enable/disable these settings.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Thumbnail previews of .doc vs .odt files in windows explorer

Post by Villeroy »

I get previews for all doc and xls in dialog File>New>Templates&Documents... Section "My Documents" regardless of origin.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice