[Solved] Error 1304 under Vista

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Marcel_Cote

[Solved] Error 1304 under Vista

Post by Marcel_Cote »

Hello

For 3 days now I browse forum's to find the solution to my problem.

I'm technician for several years now and I install Open Office in customers computer who do not wont to pay for Microsoft Office.

My problem that I have right now is. On 2 computers Acer Extensa 5630Z with Windows Vista Premium SP1 FR when I try to install Open Office 3.0. I always have that error 1304. Error writing to file c: \ programdata \ Microsoft \ Windows \ templates \ soffice.odg. Check that you are authorized to access this directory.

Please do not redirected me to another forum or other link because I was doing all those links and forum for 3 days now. It must have someone who find the solution for that problem!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista
bobban
Volunteer

Re: Error 1304

Post by bobban »

Please do not redirected me to another forum or other link because I was doing all those links and forum for 3 days now.
I won't do that, except to say I think this will be a difficult situation because I tried extensively to help the last user that had this problem and I suspect you have already been through this thread. Unfortunately his solution was a reformat, which is not good.

The problem is something to do with the 'junction point' at "c: \ programdata \ Templates".

Or perhaps the points that this resolves to. I would look hard at the security permissions on the junction and the folder it points to.

It would be great to find a solution to this problem...
Last edited by bobban on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.1.1 on Ms Windows XP
Marcel_Cote

Post by Marcel_Cote »

i already make that solution i make a restor of those computer but with the same resolt. Thos computers are new
bobban
Volunteer

Post by bobban »

What happens when you open this folder? "c: \ programdata \ Microsoft \ Windows \ templates"
Marcel_Cote

Post by Marcel_Cote »

i receive a windows error and the explorer close and open again
bobban
Volunteer

Post by bobban »

How about try to rename it as a backup, then make a new folder "c: \ programdata \ Microsoft \ Windows \ templates"?

Kind of risky, make a system backup first.
Marcel_Cote

Post by Marcel_Cote »

i'm unable to rename that directory
bobban
Volunteer

Post by bobban »

Try this to change the permissions on the folder:

Right click - Properties - Security - Advanced - Owner - Edit
Then select your account (Mike), and check the box that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"
Apply
Click Yes to replace all permissions
Click on all the Ok's to get you back out.

Also, have you tried "Run as administrator" on the installer?
Marcel_Cote

Post by Marcel_Cote »

is i try with the administrator but with no resolte

i even try in safe mode and same thing
bobban
Volunteer

Post by bobban »

Did you turn UAC off?

How did you go, renaming the folder as I said??
Marcel_Cote

Post by Marcel_Cote »

yes the UAC is turn off
bobban
Volunteer

Post by bobban »

The only thing I can suggest is renaming the folder and creating a new one call "Templates".

I would also just try just deleting it and not replacing it

I just tried this myself. Interestingly this folder gets recreated by the installer as soon as you run it. I really think renaming or deleting the original "Templates" folder is your best chance. Other than that I really don't know what to suggest.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

This is a windows error. Have you tried right clicking on the installer and selecting "Run As Administrator". I'd also suggest a Google search on this error.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

+1.

If you Google 1304 and Vista you'll see it affects all sorts of applications.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Marcel_Cote

Post by Marcel_Cote »

I find the solution

this is the way to do it

Windows Vista:

Select Start > Computer.
Open the C: drive and locate the ProgramData folder. If you do not see the ProgramData folder, take these additional steps to make it visible:
Select Organize > Folder And Search Options.
In the Folder Options window, select the View tab.
In Advanced Settings, select Show Hidden Files And Folders.
Click OK to close the Folder Options window.
Right-click ProgramData and select Properties.
In the ProgramData Properties window, select the Security tab. Click Advanced.
In the Advanced Security Properties For ProgramData window, select the Owner tab. Click Edit.
Select the Administrators group under Change Owner To. Select Replace Owner On Subcontainers And Objects. Click OK. If a Windows Security dialog appears, click Yes to continue.
In the Advanced Security Properties For ProgramData window, select the Permissions tab. Click Edit.
Select Include Inheritable Permissions From This Object's Parent. Select Replace All Existing Inheritable Permissions On All Decendents With Inheritable Permissions From This Object. Click OK. If a Windows Security dialog appears, click Yes to continue.
Click OK to close the Advanced Security Properties for ProgramData window.
Click OK to close ProgramData Properties dialog box.
Install Open Office.

The error that we do is we always try to change the template directory so we have to change the ProgramData one

I think i will to and grabe a beer!!!!

Thanks guys
bobban
Volunteer

Post by bobban »

thomasjk wrote:This is a windows error. Have you tried right clicking on the installer and selecting "Run As Administrator". I'd also suggest a Google search on this error.
TheGurkha wrote:If you Google 1304 and Vista you'll see it affects all sorts of applications.
Yes, it's certainly Windows related. I googles extensively myself on this but not been unable to find anything substantial on it. It's permissions related but nobody has fixed this yet by doing all the usual things to elevate privileges etc.

Funnily enough when I deleted the the templates directory to try reproduce this error, OOo still installed without a complaint. :cry:
 Edit: Great to see you found a solution and thanks for posting back. :D

This is the most promising solution yet, and indicates the problem was with the Templates junction point at ProgramData, rather than the Templates folder itself. 
Marcel_Cote

Post by Marcel_Cote »

if i can help other persone to solve that probleme

thanks for the help guys
higgowoman

Re: [Solved] Error 1304 under Vista

Post by higgowoman »

This doesn't work either............nothing works. I don't know what to do anymore. :? This is the first time I'm seriously hating Vista. I even tried installing RegCure, what a waste of money. Does anyone have any other solutions??
higgowoman

Post by higgowoman »

Finally!! A solution that worked!! Thank you!

bobban wrote:The only thing I can suggest is renaming the folder and creating a new one call "Templates".

I would also just try just deleting it and not replacing it

I just tried this myself. Interestingly this folder gets recreated by the installer as soon as you run it. I really think renaming or deleting the original "Templates" folder is your best chance. Other than that I really don't know what to suggest.
michaelmichael

Post by michaelmichael »

I am having the exact same issues with Vista 64 and OO 3.0

It is causing an issue during a trial. Ouch

No solutions? Tried all of the below. CRASHES VISTA EXPLORER EVERY TIME

UPDATED:

Deleting the directory in question before install seems to have solved it on Vista 64 OOO 3.0!
uncleop

Post by uncleop »

This sure seems to be an Acer-specific issue. Happened to me on my "new/refurb" Acer Aspire notebook running Vista Home Basic. I solved it by opening a DOS window "Run as Administrator" and renaming the old Templates directory. Install then when right through. Using the latest OOo download as of the date of this posting (well, actually it was last night).
OpenOffice.org 3.1 everywhere
Antikythera

Post by Antikythera »

I have an Acer Aspire 8730 with Vista 64 and I had this problem. The permissions solution didn't work but renaming Templates and creating a new Templates folder did. The old Templates folder actually seemed to be a shortcut, not a folder, and I was unable to open it at all.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows Vista & XP
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Antikythera wrote:I have an Acer Aspire 8730 with Vista 64 and I had this problem. The permissions solution didn't work but renaming Templates and creating a new Templates folder did. The old Templates folder actually seemed to be a shortcut, not a folder, and I was unable to open it at all.
"Templates" in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows should definitely be a folder in Vista, not a shortcut (junction point). To maintain compatibility with pre-Vista software "Templates" in C:\ProgramData should be a shortcut (junction point) pointing to the "Templates" folder in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows. Trying to open any junction point should result in an "Access Denied" message.

See Junction Points in Vista for a list of junction points in Vista and instructions for making a list of junction points on the C: drive.